Frequently Asked Questions

The Student Study Abroad Advisory Board reminds all participants that while you are abroad you are representing Haverford College.

Your actions reflect on us and affect our ability to continue to offer these programs. As tuition paying students, Haverford expects you will uphold the same community standards of the program in which you are enrolled as well as those of the Haverford Community.

Choosing a Program

  • What are some of the factors I should consider when choosing a program?

    There are many different types of programs. Finding the program that is right for you involves asking yourself what you hope to attain out of the study abroad experience. What are your learning goals? Language proficiency? Second language acquisition? Cultural Immersion? Intercultural competency? Academic enhancement of a major or minor? Research and fieldwork in preparation for your thesis? To find out more about each program option, read the program descriptions.

    Do you want to take courses only with students from the host country and immerse yourself fully into the culture?

    Direct Enrollment

    You can study abroad through direct enrollment in a host institution or on a program that enrolls you in courses at the local universities. Most of the direct enrollment programs are in English speaking countries such as the programs in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and The University of West Indies in Barbados. Some direct-programs are in non-English speaking countries but courses are offered in English with host nationals, such as the exchanges with Lund University and Al Akhawayn University.

    Do you want to enroll directly in a foreign university and take courses with host nationals but would appreciate extra assistance with navigating the different style of university system?

    Facilitated Direct Enrollment

    You can directly enroll in a local university but have an American-style support system available on-site. In these facilitated direct enrollment programs, you are a full university student at the local university but also have an American third-party provider that helps you register for courses, provides on-site academic assistance, and arranges for other local cultural enrichment (e.g., city tours, holiday parties, etc.). However, if you are going to a non-English speaking country, some of these programs may require a high level of language proficiency, such as the Middlebury programs in Chile, IFSA Butler in Argentina, and BCA in Mexico. Examples of these programs (taught in English) include CIEE Hyderabad at the University of Hyderabad, CIEE Cape Town at the University of Cape Town, CIEE Botswana at the University of Botswana, CIEE Istanbul at Koç University, IFSA Sharjah at the American University of Sharjah, and IFSA Jerusalem at Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

    Are you interested in an intensive language experience where you gain the cross-cultural competence that speaking only in the host language for a semester can bring?

    Intensive Language Study

    Some study abroad programs offer the opportunity to develop speaking, reading, and writing confidence in the host language through intensive language study. Some of these programs require no previous language study, such as CET Intensive Chinese Language in Beijing. Other programs are designed to bring intermediate speakers to near-fluency throughout the semester, such as the CET Intensive Chinese Language in Harbin and IFSA Buenos Aires Intermediate.

    Do you want to improve your language proficiency or learn a new language while still taking area courses for your major?

    Hybrid Programs

    There are also options where students can take courses both at an academic center with American students on the program and also at a local university. These students have access to the academic enrichment of experiencing academic life in their host country through their university coursework, but they also have access to more American-style services and field trips. Some of these hybrid programs offer courses taught in English( by local university faculty members ) at the academic center and courses at the local university which are taught both in the host language or in English. Some examples are IES Granada, IES Rome, IES Milan, IES Siena, and CIEE Prague. On other hybrid programs, students take both academic center and regular university courses only in the host language, such as IFSA Buenos Aires and Mendoza, Sweet Briar Paris and Nice, and Sweet Briar Seville.

    Do you want to attend a specialized academic program taught in English?

    Academic Center Programs

    Academic center programs are specifically designed for American students abroad because students are not fluent in the language of the country. Some examples of these programs are College Year in Athens, the Denmark Institute for Study Abroad, Budapest Semesters in Mathematics, and the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome. Students on these programs take classes that are created and taught for American students in an academic center on a program that provides American-style services and programs for students. These types of programs usually offer some type of global engagement outside the classroom, such as through field study, study tours with faculty,internships and volunteer opportunities, and housing with families or in dorms with host nationals.

Application Process

  • What are the prerequisites for studying abroad?

    The Educational Policy Committee (the EPC), which oversees Haverford Study Abroad, has mandated the following requirements for students to be eligible for study abroad:

    1. Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Students with lower GPAs must apply to the International Academic Programs Advisory Committee. Please note that some programs (e.g. Oxford, LSE) have higher GPA requirements.
    2. Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing at Haverford.
    3. Students should be in good health physically, emotionally, and mentally. In cases where a medical condition is on-going (diabetes, eating disorder, etc.), referrals for continual care abroad must be documented. Not all countries have English speaking doctors, psychologists, or psychiatrists available. Students and their mental care provider should make arrangements for this care prior to application.
    4. Students who are physically challenged, have a documented learning disability, or need continuous or special periodic care for medical, emotional, or mental problems must indicate their needs in writing to Dean Mancini prior to applying. None of these will automatically prevent a student from attending; however, not all programs may be able to offer special accommodations.
    5. Students must be motivated to study abroad and demonstrate a willingness to adjust to the demands of living abroad and to cope with the challenges of a different academic environment. Students also must display maturity and social responsibility, and be able to deal with the unexpected. Maturity can be evidenced by completion of the Declaration of Intent to Study Abroad and the specific program application, and the processing of all study abroad materials on time.
    6. Students must attend the mandatory Information Session held at the beginning of each semester and the scheduled mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation Session the semester before going abroad. Check out the calendar of events.
  • May I apply to go on Bryn Mawr College, Swarthmore College, or the University of Pennsylvania study abroad programs?

    Students may apply to such a program only if it is also on Haverford's list of approved programs.

  • If I haven't yet been accepted to a program, should I participate in Haverford's Pre-Registration and Room Draw?

    Yes, you may go through Pre-Registration and Room Draw if you have not yet been accepted to a program or if you have not been awarded financial aid at the time of Pre-Registration and Room Draw. Please read the Room Draw Rules regarding international study.

While Abroad

  • Do I have to pre-register for Haverford classes while abroad?

    Yes, you do pre-register while you are abroad, in the same way you do while on campus. Follow the instructions to pre-register sent to you by Lee Watkins, in April and in November.

  • How do abroad students participate in room draw to receive housing after they return?

    Students on international study usually have a proxy (another student, who is currently on campus) who participates in Mid-Year Room Draw in December or Spring Room Draw in April on their behalf. There are two forms on the Residential Life website: one to name a proxy and the other for a proxy to accept their role. Follow their instructions.

  • Where will I live while I'm abroad?

    Students work with their program to secure their housing. Depending on the program, student housing options may include traditional dorms, international student dorms, a homestay with a host national family, or a city-wide dorm for multiple universities. Some programs may only have one housing option and some may offer multiple options from which students can choose. For information on housing options and costs, see the Costs page.

    Students may not apply for off-campus independent housing and may not opt to live in apartments with other American students unless that is the only housing option. As at Haverford, study abroad programs cannot guarantee specific housing in advance, even if the student has completed a housing request/preference form, and especially if the student is going only during spring semester.

  • Who pays the housing deposit, if there is one?

    In the event of a housing deposit (security deposit, key deposit, or deposit for incidentals), the student (not Haverford) will be expected to pay it. This is usually returned upon inspection of the room, at the end of a student's program.

  • Can I get a library carrel when I return from abroad?

    If you are interested in having a library carrel for when you return to Haverford, you must fill out an application for one, available from Magill Circulation Desk, before you leave campus. Demand for carrels is high, so if you don’t apply for one until you return, there will likely not be one available.

Special Cases

  • How do I withdraw from a program?

    Think carefully before you commit yourself — it can get costly! If you withdraw from a program after the withdrawal deadline, you are expected to notify both the sponsoring program officials and Dean Mancini. Deposits paid to the program will not be refunded for any reason. In addition, there may be some further financial implications for withdrawing from a program, especially if the program has already started. It is the responsibility of the student to be familiar with the refund and withdrawal policy of his or her particular program.

    The College, in conjunction with the Student Study Abroad Advisory Committee, has approved charging a $500 fine, as well as any unrecoverable expenses paid by the College to the program, to all students withdrawing from programs past the set Haverford deadlines.

  • Can I study abroad on multiple programs during different semesters?

    Yes. Although it is rare, students have participated in different programs for first and second semester, or for one program sophomore year and another junior year. It is highly recommended that you apply to both programs before you leave Haverford. See Dean Mancini for further details.

  • Can transfer students study abroad?

    Yes, and many do! Transfer students must complete a minimum of 16 Haverford course credits and four semesters in residence.

  • Can I study abroad if I don't wish to receive credit?

    No. Regrettably, we cannot monitor the programs effectively if students attend who are not working to receive credit at Haverford. We have agreements with universities and programs stipulating our examination requirements, housing arrangements, etc. Therefore, it is also difficult for foreign universities to keep track of students not participating on Haverford's approved study abroad program. Students who do not wish to receive Haverford credit should feel free to select from the thousands of programs not on the list.

  • Can I participate in summer study abroad?

    Yes, but the Office of International Academic Programs does not oversee summer study abroad. See the Students' Guide for procedures.

  • Can I participate in domestic study-away?

    Students who wish to study at another college within the United States should see their Dean for assistance. Although Haverford College Financial Aid policy does not permit Haverford financial aid to be transferred for domestic study, there are a few exceptions to this rule. Limited aid is available for study at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, which falls under the purview of Office of International Academic Programs. See Dean Mancini for details.

    Haverford has exchanges with Claremont McKenna, Pitzer and Spelman Colleges; Financial Aid does apply for these exchange programs. Interested students should see Dean Steve Watter. However, students cannot go to another US institution and transfer study abroad credit to Haverford.