Planning: Non-Academic Preparation
"We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey." - John Hope Franklin
- Review Passport Information
- Review Visa Information
- Visit the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website
- Review Insurance Agencies for International Travel
Students participating in Haverford's International Academic Programs are required to have comprehensive, international health insurance. The type and amount of insurance are personal decisions, depending on the medical condition of the student, destination, and the availability of personal insurance from outside resources, such as parental policies. Haverford College does not endorse any one specific policy. It is the responsibility of the students and parents or guardians to select appropriate insurance coverage. This PDF contains information and addresses of some other popular plans, and we encourage you to contact the organizations directly for more information. Please make sure that the insurance covers medical evacuation and repatriation.
- Review our Immunization Information
- Review our Health Check information
- ACE Travel Assistance Program | ACE Travel Assistance Site >
- We recommend that students obtain either an ISIC International Student Identification Card or an iNext Travel card before leaving the U.S.
Both cards not only allow small discounts on meals at some restaurants, museums, trains, flights, hostels, etc., but also serves as an acceptable identification in most cases, eliminating the necessity of carrying your passport. Most importantly, both cards give you access to a 24-hour assistance hotline, plus basic accident, sickness, and also medical evacuation and repatriation insurance for travel outside of the United States.
- Students will need additional health insurance.
- Both cards includes a passport replacement coverage that reimburses the loss of the Insured's passport during the Insured's trip.
- The iNext Travel insurance Card can be purchased online.
- The ISIC applications, photos, and ID cards are available for purchase online.
- Complete the Acceptance Agreement: Due 10 days after acceptance and no later than April 19th for Fall/Year or Dec 1st for Spring.