Religious & Spiritual Life: Student Groups & Organizations
The following is a list of religious and spiritual student organizations. If you have any questions about anything related to religious and spiritual life at Haverford, please do not hesitate to contact the Haverford Coordinator of Religious and Spiritual Life, Walter Sullivan '82 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Regular Events: Weekly on-campus Bible Study, community group meetings Monday nights from 7-9 p.m. on the 2nd floor of the Campus Center and larger group Friday night worship from 7-9 p.m. at Bryn Mawr's Pensby Center, and Sunday worship service (pick ups at 9:20 a.m. at the Campus Center). Contacts can provide transportation to these gatherings.
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/renewal
- Contact: Kayoung Lee (email@example.com)
Vivian Nguyen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Regular Events: Friday nights: Jewish 'home away from home' with hospitality Shabbat dinners (every Friday night while school is in session at 7 p.m.), Saturday mornings (monthly): Services at Chabad House. Bagels and Torah sessions at each of the Tri-Colleges. Reading group at Haverford devoted to one great Jewish thinker per semester. Celebrations of all the Jewish holidays, both at Haverford/Bryn Mawr and at Chabad House. See trichabad.org for updated times or email us.
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/chabad
- Contact: Nick Kahn (email@example.com)
Zoe Colman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Advisor: Rabbi Eli Gurevitz (email@example.com)
- Regular Events: Sunday services at 7:45 a.m., 9:00 a.m., and 11:15 a.m. (coffee hour after), Episcopal Campus Ministry discussion on Sundays from 4-6 p.m. at Church of the Redeemer.
- Website: http://www.theredeemer.org/
- Contact:Carolyn Poutasse
- Advisor: The Rev. Melissa Q. Wilcox
610-525-2486 ext. 16
- Regular Events: Thursday evening worship and Bible Study, 7:30-9:30 pm, MCC Stokes 106.
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/hcf
- Contacts: Cathy Quero (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Paulina Cueto (email@example.com)
- Regular Events: TBA
- Regular Events: GIAC Multipurpose room every Sunday at 2 p.m.
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/meditation
- Contacts: Marissa Gibson-Garcia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Alexis Etzkorn (email@example.com)
- Regular Events: Shabbat services and dinner - Friday Shabbat services start at 6:30 p.m., dinner at 7:30 p.m. in the Jewish student lounge at the bottom of Jones dormitory. JSB Boards meetings on Wednesday nights at 6:30 p.m. in Jones - open to all.
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/hillel
- Contacts: Eliana Kohrman-Glaser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jeremy Steinberg (email@example.com)
- Advisor: David Eber (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Regular Events: Once a month dinners on Fridays at the Multicultural Center at Haverford. In collaboration with Bryn Mawr's MSA, Friday prayers in Aelwyd Prayer Room (Cambrian Row) at 1 p.m. (These are the usual locations and messages are sent out to the e-mail lists in case of exceptions. Dinner starts around 7pm.) Interfaith events will also be held with other religious life groups to promote understanding among faiths. Fridays (based on availability): Drive to the Villanova Mosque around 1pm for prayer. Daily prayer will likely be held in the James House annex. We will also be doing ice cream socials, etc. to support the Muslim students on campus and be available for other students who may have questions about Islam. More information coming soon!
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/msa
- Contacts: Saadia Nawal (email@example.com)
Saleh Hindi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sofia Javed (email@example.com)
- Other Resources: MSA also has connections with student groups at Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, and UPenn as well as with the Villanova Islamic Center. We will try to do some collaborative events with Bryn Mawr in the future as well.)
- Regular Events: Mass on Sundays at Noon at either Haverford or Bryn Mawr and weekday Mass on Thursdays (locations are listed more specifically on the organization website). Eucharistic Adoration and Confession on Wednesdays. Rosary Prayer group on Fridays and talks by Catholics from around the area on theology and spirituality. Feeding the homeless on Saturdays. Teaching English to Latinos on Sunday afternoons. Mission trips to Mongolia, Korea, and Haiti during breaks with TriCo.
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/newman
- Contacts: Emma Mongoven (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Advisor: Father Jaehwa (email@example.com)
- Regular Events: Sundays (First-days): Haverford Friends Meeting from 10:30-11:30 a.m. at, 855 Buck Lane (400 meters from campus), Haverford, PA. Wednesdays: Fourth Day Meeting in the Multicultural Center (Stokes 106), 10:00-10:30 am.
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/quac
- Contacts: Abby Reuscher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jean Leighton (email@example.com)
- Off Campus Resources: Haverford Friends Meeting (400 meters from campus): 855 Buck Lane, Haverford, PA. Sundays 10:30-11:30am. See Quaker Resources sheet for more off-campus opportunities.
- Quaker House is taking a sabbatical in 2014-15. Students who are interested in planning for 2015-16 may contact Walter Hjelt Sullivan, Director of Quaker Affairs.
- Website: http://www.haverford.edu/organizations/QuakerHouse