1. "For the kingdom of heaven
is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers
for his vineyard.
2. After agreeing with the laborers for the usual daily wage, he sent
them into his vineyard.
3. When he went out about nine o'clock, he saw others standing idle
in the marketplace;
4. and he said to them, 'You also go into the vineyard, and I will
pay you whatever is right.' So they went.
5. When he went out again about noon and about three o'clock, he did
6. And about five o'clock he went out and found others standing around;
and he said to them, 'Why are you standing here idle all day?'
7. They said to him, 'Because no one has hired us.' He said to them,
'You also go into the vineyard.'
8. When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his manager,
'Call the laborers and give them their pay, beginning with the last
and then going to the first.'
9. When those hired about five o'clock came, each of them received
the usual daily wage.
10. Now when the first came, they thought they would receive more;
but each of them also received the usual daily wage.
11. And when they received it, they grumbled against the landowner,
12. saying, 'These last worked only one hour, and you have made them
equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching
13. But he replied to one of them, 'Friend, I am doing you no wrong;
did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?
14. Take what belongs to you and go; I choose to give to this last
the same as I give to you.
15. Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or
are you envious because I am generous?'
16. So the last will be first, and the first will be last."