Friend in Residence
Haverford's Friend in Residence program brings gifted and experienced Quakers to campus for extended interactions with students, staff faculty, and the community. The aim is to stimulate reflection on the connections between academic pursuits and "letting one's life speak."
The purpose of the Friend in Residence program is to enrich the educational experience for Haverford's students, deepen the school's appreciation of its Quaker roots and strengthen the College's connections within the broader Quaker community.
Sponsored by the President's Office and the Quaker Affairs Office.
evalyn parry: March 16 - April 6, 2014
evalyn parry is a Canadian Quaker, and an award-winning musician, poet and theatre artist. Her interdisciplinary performance works, inspired by a deep commitment to social justice, explore themes that range from 19th century cycling heroines to bottled water, from queer identity to the quest for the Northwest Passage. Whether accompanying herself on guitar, water bottle, shruti box or loop pedals, or joined by a percussionist playing an amplified bicycle, parry’s unique work has been performed all over North America, and been widely broadcast, commissioned and anthologized; she has released four critically acclaimed CDs, and directed, written and acted in numerous original theatrical productions. In her hometown Toronto, evalyn serves as the director of the Young Creators Unit at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, mentoring and directing young queer artists in the creation of solo performance. She has lead workshops at colleges and universities, community, professional arts and Quaker organizations across the US and Canada, using writing, music, movement and theatre to explore diverse themes, and to give expression to the unique creative voice within each of us.evalynparry.com
Public Events Schedule
- Monday, March 17 at noon - Welcome Lunch
- Friday, March 21 at 9 p.m. - A Taste of evalyn parry
- Saturday, March 29 at noon - What the F*** is Feminism Anyway?: An interactive workshop
- Saturday, April 4 at 7:30 p.m. - From Outrage to Creation
- Saturday, April 5 at 7:30 p.m. - SPIN
Other Opportunities to Meet with evalyn
- Monday, March 17 at 6:30 p.m. - Dinner at Quaker House
- Thursday, March 20 at 5:00 p.m. - WHRC Radio on-air interview
- Thursday, March 20 at 6:45 p.m. - Acoustic and Vegetarian
Public Events Off-Campus
- Saturday, March 29 at 6:00 p.m. - Potluck and Concert at Lancaster Friends Meeting (110 Tulane Terrance, Lancaster, PA 17603)
- Sunday, March 30 at 1:30 p.m. - Quaker Meeting for Worship (West Philly Worship Group, Friends Rehabilitation Project Squirrel Hill building, 1018 S 48th St., around the left to the back entrance.)
- Sunday, March 30 - 3:30 p.m. - Public Concert
(in addition, Evalyn will be visiting classrooms, student groups, and meeting with students individually. To schedule an opportunity for yourself or with your student group, contact email@example.com)