Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) at Haverford
The Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) offers workshops in conflict resolution and communication in schools, prisons and communities worldwide. AVP workshops combine experiential learning activities with deep self-reflection to offer all participants a safe, unique space for self-understanding and personal growth. AVP at Haverford works in collaboration with members of the faculty to link on-campus AVP workshops with academic courses. We also publicize and encourage students to take full advantage of the many opportunities for off-campus AVP participation in the greater Philadelphia area.
For information about AVP at Haverford, contact:
For general information about community based AVP programs in the Philadelphia area contact:
Carolyn Schodt, AVP Coordinator at DOC Graterford
Delaware Valley AVP Council
Chestnut Hill Friends Meeting
100 East Mermaid Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19118
To learn more about AVP's national and international work, check out:
Some potential sites for AVP workshops in the community:
- Memphis Street Academy, Philadelphia,19134. 2013 plans: 4 monthly sessions at the Advanced AVP level, open to anyone interested in an ADVANCED AVP particularly for middle schools. Dates set so far: November 3, 2012, 9am to 2pm Saturday, December 1, 2012, 9 am to 2pm. The ADVANCED requirement may be met by attending the four sessions. Cost: $25 each, suggested offering. Contact: Carolyn Schodt
- DOC Chester is moderate security prison located near Chester, PA. Details are being worked out for dates TBA. Workshops would be Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday. Requires going through their clearance process and orientation first. No cost. Contact: Carolyn Schodt
- Kensington Community Center, 2645 Kensington Avenue, Phila 19125. Workshops will be scheduled early in 2013, offering a series of BASIC, ADVANCED and TRAINING FOR FACILITATORS, approximately in Feb, March, April. Workshops are Friday late afternoon 7 evening, Saturday all day, Sunday afternoon. Cost: $25 each, suggested offering. All are welcome. So far, participants have been from the suburbs, wanting to get involved. The Church of the Visitation is wanting to recruit local folks.
- New Jerusalem Now /Recovery Community
2011 Norris Street
Phila., PA 19121
General phone: 215-787-9988
Ask for Leslie Stevenson.
They do BASIC AVP each month as a requirement of their recovery program. They also do anger management workshops, based on AVP. Call for details of schedule. Also can contact Sr. Barbara Brigham, Medical Mission Sister, 215-291-0246, email@example.com. who is sometimes easier to reach. This is a flexible, friendly place. All are welcome. Free-will offering.
- Plans are being made to start an AVP program in Norristown, in Spanish. Dependent on getting AVP Facilitators who are also Spanish speakers. We have one but probably need three more.