The major change in 2015-2016 to faculty funding applies to the Travel Fund and Limited Research Fund for tenure-line and continuing faculty. In 2015-2016, the Provost’s Office will pilot a program to combine these resources into one fund entitled The Research & Scholarship Support Fund. This change to funding reflects conversations during Spring 2015 with the Provost’s Office, AAC and FAPC, and as announced at Faculty Meeting in April. The fund will allow faculty to apply for up to $3000 in funding on a rolling basis throughout the year to support conference travel and/or research initiatives. At the conclusion of the 15-16 academic year, this fund will be reviewed for its financial sustainability and a decision will be made if it can be continued.
The fund may be used for expenses related to:
- research and scholarship materials
- publication costs
- travel to off-campus research sites
- conference travel
- to give an invited paper, serve as an invited participant, or chair a session
- to give a contributed talk
- to serve on the board or as an officer of a learned society
- to attend a meeting for the purpose of professional development
How to apply: Apply at any time throughout the year. Full-time visiting faculty are not eligible.
Funding terms: Faculty must apply and receive approval before using the funds (e.g. apply before traveling, apply before purchasing research related expenses). Annual funding allotment of $3,000 does not roll over. The full allotment is available July 1st and it must be approved, spent and submitted for reimbursement by June 30th of the following year.
Limitations: The funds cannot be used for the following categories:
- Salary for student workers (please see the “Student Research Assistant Fund”)
- Computers, computer equipment, devices or hardware (unless specialized technology needed for research specific purpose)
- Meals while traveling on a research trip (meals for conferences are allowable)
- Dues and Memberships
- Gas receipts for personal car trips (must submit mileage)
- Per diems
- Personal reimbursement for payment of professional services (you may apply for funds to hire a professional entity but any entity hired for professional services must be paid directly by the College, not through the faculty member – please have entity submit an invoice)
- Tenure-line/ Continuing