Internal Funding Sources

Several sources of funding are available to eligible faculty members (see Faculty Handbook for eligibility requirements). Questions about internal funding should be directed to the Senior Assistant for Curricular and Provostial Affairs.

Travel Fund

Funds are provided to support faculty travel to scholarly meetings/conferences to present their research. Consult the Faculty Handbook for eligibility requirements and annual limits.

How to apply: After receiving approval for your trip, please use the account number provided by our office and the appropriate object code when submitting for reimbursement through Kuali. If you have any questions, please contact the Senior Assistant for Curricular and Provostial Affairs.

Book Fund

Tenure-track and continuing faculty members are eligible for $250.00 of funding each year to reimburse expenses for books, software, or other scholarly materials.

How to apply: qualifying faculty can submit their reimbursement through Kuali using account # 1013900. If you have any questions, please contact the Assistant to the Provost.

Faculty Research Fund

The Faculty Research Fund (FRF) provides funding (maximum $6000) for faculty members to initiate new projects, complete an existing project or assist with transitions between grants from external sources of funding. Allowable expenses include: research materials and supplies; travel to off-campus research sites; living expenses (except for meals) for research trips up to 2 months in length; publication costs; and academic year research assistants. Requested funding levels usually exceed the total funding that is available. Funding decisions are made by the Associate Provost in consultation with the faculty representatives to the Administrative Advisory Committee.

How to apply: Applications are solicited for FRF awards every January. Awards are made in March, and funds are available for one year. Applications will be made available annually in December.

Faculty Support Fund

The Faculty Support Fund (FSF) provides funding for faculty members to pay for assistants to support them in their research, primarily during the summer months. Faculty members wishing to employ summer student research assistants should apply for funding through the FSF. Although the primary purpose of the FSF is to provide student research assistants, the Associate Provost may allocate funds from the FSF for faculty members to pay for certain forms of research support provided by non-student assistants or professionals.

How to apply: As with the FRF, applications are solicited on an annual basis every December, with an early January deadline. Awards are made in February, and funds are available for one year. Applications will be made available annually in December.

Limited Research Fund

Eligible faculty members may also submit a Limited Research Fund (LRF) request, for research expenses such as those listed above at any time, provided the requested amount is less than or equal to $1000. Multiple requests are allowed as long as the total amount does not exceed this $1000 limit.

How to apply: Use the linked form to apply.

Research Continuity Fund

Faculty members in any Division whose research has been supported recently by extramural funds may apply for support from the Research Continuity Fund (RCF) to provide funds for materials and supplies. The maximum annual amount requested shall not exceed $10,000, and funding will be provided for a maximum of two years. No support will be provided for “summer salary”. Please refer to this link for more information about the requirements and reporting expectations for this fund.

How to apply: Contact the Associate Provost

Louis Green Fund

Funds may be requested to support travel expenses for student traveling (alone, or with faculty members) to present their research at professional meetings or other professional or academic venues. Additionally, funds may be requested to support student scholarly engagement with off-site collaborators at professional meetings or the collaborators' home institutions. This is an endowed fund, therefore it is required that those receiving support from this source provide a summary of their experiences in a letter addressed to the donor to be included in our annual stewardship report.

Distinguished Visitors

Haverford is fortunate to have an endowed program to assist the faculty in bringing distinguished visitors to the campus. Established by a generous bequest from William Pyle Phillips (Class of 1902) and augmented by gifts from other alumni and Friends of the College, this program supports 60-70 visits to the campus each year by distinguished statesmen and scholars in the arts, sciences and humanities.

Mellon Tri-Co Faculty Forum Grants

As a result of funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Tri-College Faculty Forum Grant was established to support initiatives and programs that encourage and foster collaborations between faculty at Bryn Mawr, Haverford and Swarthmore Colleges. These collaborations can be in areas of pedagogy, research, and governance/service, and one of the primary goals of the grant is to help strengthen and broaden the intellectual pursuits of faculty in the tri-college community, encourage collaboration and in many cases, encourage interdisciplinary endeavors.

Other Funds

The Provost’s Office also administers a variety of endowed funds given to the College to support student research with faculty members in specific academic departments. To apply for such funding, please contact the Associate Provost.