The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is the body that grants accredited status to colleges and universities in our region. Institutions are re-accredited every 10 years, through a process of self-study followed by a site visit. The College was re-accredited in 2010, and is in the process of completing the five-year Periodic Review Report. The next self-study process will begin in 2018, and conclude in 2020.
Middle States is not a government agency; it is a voluntary, peer-based membership association. This group sets standards and makes decisions about accreditation.
Haverford College’s Middle States Periodic Review Report is currently underway. This community document is intended to represent a broadly understood view of the institution, and we welcome your help and advice in further refining it. Please send all comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 11, 2015.
The PRR includes the following required sections:
- An executive summary.
- A summary description of the institution's responses to recommendations from the previous evaluation and to Commission actions.
- A brief narrative identifying the institution's major challenges and/or current opportunities.
- Analysis of enrollment and finance data for the period covered by the institution's strategic plan (but not less than the current year and three future years), including enrollment and fiscal trends from the three previous years and assumptions upon which projections are based.
- Evidence of sustained and organized processes to assess institutional effectiveness and student learning, and evidence that the results of such processes are being used to improve programs and services and to inform planning and resource allocation decisions.
- Evidence that linked institutional planning and budgeting processes are in place.
Three evaluators (two external reviewers and a finance associate) appointed by the Commission will review the 2015 PRR along with the report of the evaluation team from our 2010 Self-Study. (PRR reviewers do not visit the campus or interact with us.) They will then make a recommendation to the Commission regarding our continued accreditation.
- June 1, 2015
- The College submits our Periodic Review Report and other required materials (e.g. financial documents).
- Aug 1, 2015
- Reviewers' reports are made available to the Commission and to the College.
- Sept 1, 2015
- The College may offer a response to the Reviewers' reports.
- October 2015
- Commission "PRR Committees" meet to review and discuss all materials. (PRR reviewers participate; the institution does not.)
- November 2015
- Commission communicates its final accreditation decision to the institution, stating the precise action it has taken, including any follow-up required of the institution.
The PRR Steering Committee, a subcommittee of the Institutional Effectiveness Committee (IEC), is comprised of the following members:
- Fran Blase, Associate Provost for Curricular Development and Support, Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Franklyn Cantor, Presidential Fellow
- Catherine Fennell, Director of Institutional Research
- Jesse Lytle, Chief of Staff
- Ellen Schultheis, Senior Assistant for Curricular and Provostial Affairs