For information about Web accessibility, please contact the Webmaster at email@example.com.
Our majors find the Senior These to be one of the most challenging experiences at Haverford, but also the most satisfying. With guidance from their faculty mentors, students write a paper, typically 25-50 pages long including figures and references, aimed at a general audience of physicists. Frequently, this leads to a publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
2013 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Avian Flocking Dynamic: Studying the Function of Signaling and Vision
- Quantum State Tomography by Coupled Target-Probe Qubit Evolution
- Photoconductivity in DNA-Porphryin Complexes
- Investigating Tidal Structures Surrounding the Galaxy NGC 5907
- Small Stars and Heavy Metal - Using HST Globular Clusters to Derive an Empirial Photometric Metallicity Relation for Low-mass Stars
- Item Response Theory Analysis of the Conceptual Survey of Electricity & Magnetism and of Lawson's Classroom Test of Scientific Reasoning
2012 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Initial Characterization of a Histidine-d(C2) Vibrational Probe and Progress Towards its Incorporation in Influenza Hemagglutinin
- Quantum Logic
- Synchronization of Chlamydomonas Flagella, Studied in Two-Dimensional Films
- Properties of X-ray Selected AGN Pairs in the Chandra COSMOS Survey
- Investigating Precursor Phase Solar Coronal Temperature Changes and Wavelength-Dependent Differences in Solar Flare Observations
- Expansion of the Early Universe: A Numerical Simulation of Chern-Simons Inflation
- Dark Matter Detection with DMTPC: Distinguishing WIMPs from Neutron Backgrounds
- Galactic Interactions and Star Formation in HCGs 92 and 97
- An Extended Approach to Determining the Detectability of Milky Way Satellites
- A Search for RR Lyrae Stars in Segue 2 and 3
2011 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Quantifying Entanglement in Mixed Quantum States
- Magnetic Field Generation through Coupling with the Inflation Field
- Segue 3 – Investigating An Atypical Star Cluster
- Photoconductivity of Self-Assembled Chrysotile-Porphyrin Nanohybrids
- Simulating Observations of the Milky Way Halo
- Electron Beam Lithography for Length-Dependence Studies of Organic Nanowires
- Deformations of a Sheared, Cohesive Granular Material in Two Dimensions: Local Order And Rearrangements in an Amorphous System
- The Compression and Concentration of Classical and Quantum Information
- Interactions of Swimming Algal Cells in a Quasi-Two-Dimensional Fluid Film
- Mobbing: A Study in Flocking and Evasion
- Stability of a Cosmological BCS Condensate as Dark Energy
2010 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Searching for Milky Way Dwarf Galaxies in RCS2
- Photoconductive Properties of Self-Assembling Chiral Porphyrins
- Probing Cosmic Reionization at 3 cm
- Photometric Analysis of Willman 1, an Ultra-Faint Galactic Satellite
- The Observed Kinematics of Ultra-Faint Galaxies
- Emergent Inflation from a Cosmological BCS Neutrino Condensate
- The Chapman Enskog Expansion on the Sphere
2009 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Spectral Energy Distributions of Radio Sources in Medium Redshift Galaxies: Implications for Sunyaev-Zel'dovich Effect Surveys
- Effect of Xenon on Photoconduction in TPPS4 Nanorods
- The Coupling of Gravitational Waves to Matter - An Unanswered Question in General Relativity?
- Modeling TPPS4 Aggregation with Molecular Dynamics
- Anisotropic Particles in a Fluid Flow
- Discrete Simulations of Fluid Flow on Curved Surfaces
- Scattering in Quantum Lattice Gas Models
- Star Formation and Dust Obscuration in the Tidally Distorted Galaxy NGC 2442
- Circular Dichroism Spectroscopy by Scattering: A Survey Method in the Search for Extraterrestrial Life
- Vortex Dynamics in Two Dimensions
2008 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Explicit, Efficient Decomposition of Multi-qubit Quantum Gates
- The Appearance of Swirl in an Axisymmetric Converging Flow
- Trajectories of Inertial Particles and Fluid Elements
- Effects of Oxygen and Gating on Porphyrin Nanowires
- Effects of Aging Time and Porphyrin Concentration on the Morphology of Meso-tetrakis(4-sulfonatophenyl)porphine (TPPS4) Nanorods, and Effects of Morphology on Their Photoconductivity
- Forster Energy Transfer in Nanostuctures
2007 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Sulfonated Porphyrin Aggregates: Morphology and Optoelectronics
- Experimental Methods of Analyzing Fluid Systems: Particle Tracking in a Kolmogorov Flow
- Persistent Photoconductivity and Photo-Induced Morphological Changes in Porphyrin Nanorods
- Flow Properties of Dense Colloids in Microfluidic Devices
- Electronic and Structural Properties of Porphyrin Nanorods and Nanofiber Bundles
- Entropic Ordering of Bacteriophage
- Evidence for Inverted Spectrum 20 GHz Emission in the Galactic Plane
- A Quantum Entanglement Measure for Mixed States
2006 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Computational Physics at Haverford College: Using the Matlab Programming Language
- Dynamics of Surface Flow in Horizontally Vibrated Granular Layers
- A Model for Molecular Wires: Formation of Linear Aggregates of Coproporphyrin and Coated Spheres with Submicron Radii
- The Photoconductive Properties of Phorphyrin Nanorods Over Long Time Scales
- Scanning Conductance Microscopy of Porphyrin Nanorods
2005 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- High Voltage Behavior of Carbon Nanotube in UHV
- The Photoconductivity of Porphyrin Nanorods"
- Structural Investigations of Nanorod Aggregates of Meso-Tetrakis (4-Sulfonatophenyl) Porphine"
- Elastic Instability in Elongational Polymer Flow"
- Using Nanotubes for Enhanced Atomic Force Microscopy
- "Shear-Induced Aggregation of a Binary Granular Mixture in an Annular Geometry"
- Physics of Quantum Dots"
- Construction of a Magneto-Optical Trap for the Trapping and Cooling of Individual Rubidium Atoms"
- Micromagnetic Manipulation of Cardiac Tissue"
- Development and Testing of Java Applets for Physics Education"
2004 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Carbon Nanotube AFM Probes for Use in Solution"
- Fast Granular Flow"
- Simple Simulation Solution: Least-Squares Linear Parameterizations of Activation Energies in Rh/Ag(001)"
- Nanoscale Contacts Using Carbon Nanotubes"
- Fluid Mechanics and Mixing on Small Scales"
- Modeling Endosymbiotic Evolution"
2003 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Electron Transport in Graphite Nanocrystals"
- Determining the Effects of Elasticity on the Mixing Dynamics of Polymeric Fluids"
- Towards a Model of Symbiotic Evolution - The Origins of Eukaryotic Life"
- Carbon Nanotube Breakdown"
- Structure and Properties of Myosin-II Aggregates"
- On the Conductivity of DNA: A Novel Approach"
2002 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Mixing in Polymer Solutions"
- Ice Nucleation in Clouds"
- Edge Transfer Lithography"
- Investigation into the Electrical Properties of Atomic Wires"
- Modeling Lipid Raft Diffusion in T-Cells"
- Cross Correlation of the Cosmic Microwave Background with Radio Sources"
- Detecting Diffuse Optical Light in the Cluster of Galaxies Abell 1413"
- ADAF Model Predictions of Black Hole Mass from a Radio/X-ray Luminosity Relation"
- Diffuse Interglactic Light in Abell 2218: Does it Trace the Dark Matter?"
- Serendipitous Expedition: Radio Source Counts at 8.5 GHz"
2001 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Accessing Polymer Structural Information with Laser Tweezers"
- The Effects of Primordial Black Holes on the Cosmic Microwave Background"
- Shear Flow Effects in Granular Materials"
- Fluid Mixing in Two-Dimensional Chaotic Flows"
- Structure in the Visual Field (or, why your optic nerve isn't as thick as your arm)"
- Rhodium Excavations of the Silver Surface"
- Approximating Phase Transition Temperatures"
- It's Alive! Genetic Assisted Design and the Evolution of Digital Circuits in Field Programmable Gate Arrays"
- Clustering of Vibrating Particles Immersed in a Viscous Fluid"
- Periodic Variables in the Young Cluster NGC1333"
- Large-scale Structure of the Cosmic X-ray Background"
2000 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Modeling Phase Separation in Systems of Vibrated Granular Particles"
- Searching for Companions to Nearby Stars Using Methane-Band Imaging"
- Making Contact with Atomic and Molecular Wires"
- Radio Source Counts at 1.4 GHz"
- Nanotribology - A Modern Approach to the Study of Friction"
- Misconceptions and Instructional Methods in Introductory Physics: Energy and Momentum"
1999 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- The Electronic Properties of Atomic Sn Wires and an Investigation of the Double Piezoelectric Effect"
- Mechanisms of Vacancy and 2nd Layer Adisland Formation in the Rh/Ag(001) System"
- A Model for Spontaneous Outflow from an Advection Dominated Accretion Flow"
- Velocity Statistics and Phase Transitions in a Vibrated Granular Monolayer"
- Some Applications of Scanning Tunneling Microscopy to the Study of Proteins"
- Contemporary Applications of EPR-Bohm Entanglement"
- Using Laser Tweezers for Determining the Elasticity of Novel DNA Systems"
- Cosmology from Compact Extragalactic Radio Sources"
- Transient Ordering of Adatoms on Surfaces of Square Symmetry"
1998 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Studies of Transient Mixing Phenomena in Two Dimensional Flows"
- Frictional Dynamics of Granular Materials"
- Single Electron Devices: Progress in Physics and Fabrication"
- A Statistical Search for Ghost Images in the Radio Sky"
- Structure and Stability of Sharp Tungsten Asperities"
- Using Biological Specificity to Image Proteins with a Scanning Tunneling Microscope"
- Long Term Magnetic Activity Variations in Post Main-Sequence Stars"
- Making Atomic Wire Contacts Through UHV-STM Field Evaporation"
- Educational Strategies for Dealing with Preconceptions Held by Introductory Physics Students"
1997 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Using Biological Specificity to Study Proteins with Scanned Probe Microscopes"
- Wave Patterns: An Interplay Between Geometry and Nonlinearity"
- Platinum (110) as a Scanning Tunneling Microscope Tip Characterizer"
- Primeval Galaxies or Very Distant Active Galactic Nuclei? Radio Mapping to Determine the Properties of High Redshift Objects in the Hubble Deep Field"
- Ultrahigh Vacuum Scanning Tunneling Microscope Investigation of the Stability of Sn Adsorbed onto Si(100)"
- Mechanisms of Vacancy Formation in the Rh/Ag(100) System."
- An STM Study of Chlorophyll Aggregation and the Conduction Mechanisms that make Imaging Possible"
1996 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Large-Angle Anisotropy in the Cosmic Microwave Background: A Fingerprint of Conception or the Wrinkles of Maturity?"
- The Chemical-Mechanical Polishing of Josephson Junctions (A Type of Superconducting Electronics)"
- Computer Simulations of Gravitational Lensing: A Theoretical Approach"
- The Scanning Tunneling Microscope and Quantum Corrals"
- Near Infrared Observations of Distant Galaxies"
- Surface Brightness Fluctuations and the Distances to NGC 2778, NGC 2872, and NGC 3379."
- The STM in Biology: Premises, Promises and Problems"
- Mixing of a Dye in Two Dimensional Turbulence"
- Monte Carlo Simulation of Radiative Heat Transfer and Solar Collector Optical Efficiency"
1995 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- W(001) Surface Reconstruction: Toppling Conventional Models"
- Experimental Investigation of Linear Stability in the Faraday Experiment"
- The Use of Hierarchically Structured Software as a Learning Supplement for Introductory Quantum Mechanics"
- Modifying High School Physics with a Project Based Curriculum"
- Phase Transition from Computer Simulations of Alkali Metal Absorption"
- Rimming Flow: An Investigation of Wavelength Instabilities in a One-Dimensional Pattern Forming System"
- Quasi One-Dimensional Conductors as a Model for One-Dimensional Conduction"
- Feedback Control Systems in a Scanning Tunneling Microscope"
1994 Physics & Astro Senior Theses
- Quantum Interference in Percolating Manifolds"
- Time Averaging of Spatiotemporally Chaotic Faraday Waves in a Circular Container"
- An Application of Group Theory to Molecular Quantum Mechanics"
- Introductory Physics Instruction: A Transformation of Intuitive Models"
- Detecting Gravitational Waves and Excitations of Earth Vibrations by Terrestrial Mechanisms"
- Jovian P-mode Oscillations and the Crash of P/Shoemaker Levy 9"
- An STM for Imaging Biological Molecules"
- Detection and Control of Chaos"
- A Device for Automatically Controlling the Intensity of a Laser Tweezer"
- Pulse Excitations of the Earth's OS2 Normal Mode and the Search for Gravitational Waves"
- Using the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich Effect as a Cosmological Probe"
- Infrared Search for a Dwarf Component of Dark Matter and Photometry of an M8 Giant"
- The Design of a Scanning Tunneling Microscope and Ultrahigh Vacuum Chamber for Microscopy and Nanofabrication"
- Three Dimensional Instabilities in Thin Film