The Strawbridge Observatory at Haverford College houses 12-inch and 16-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes which are actively used by students in Haverford astronomy classes. The telescopes are also periodically made available for public use with teaching assistants and/or professors present to provide assistance and background information about what is being viewed. Note that the telescopes are only used when it is clear, and the domes are not opened when it is cloudy.
If the weather is in doubt, your best option is to email Mariah Baker (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Beth Willman (email@example.com) ask whether observing will take place. You can also try to call Beth Willman at 610-896-1201.
Our public observing program will return in academic year 2013/2014. The observatory is not open to the public during the summer. Thanks to everyone for making the 2012/2013 Public Astronomy program a big success! We are looking forward to our next year of activities beginning in September 2013, with one observing night in each of September, October, and November. A big family friendly astronomy event is tentatively planned for the early evening of Saturday December 7, 2013.
- Would you like to sign up for our email list? Please fill out this form. We would love to hear from you!
Please see this space for more details on events as the time approaches. Contact Beth Willman (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mariah Baker (email@example.com) for more information.
Directions to the Observatory
The Strawbridge Observatory is located on the College's Walton Road, just off College Avenue between Haverford Road and Lancaster Ave.Going West on Lancaster Ave. (Rt. 30):
- Turn left onto Haverford Station Road (just past Haverford College's main entrance).
- Bear right at fork; the street becomes Railroad Ave.
- You will drive by the parking area of The Haverford School on the right and Haverford College property on the left.
- At next fork, bear left; the street becomes College Avenue.
- Immediately look for a small Haverford College sign on the left at Walton Road.
- Turn left onto campus at Walton Road. A short distance later, you will see observatory on your right (just before the athletic playing fields.)
- Follow signs for visitors parking (at the end of Walton Road). After 5 pm, parking is open on campus.
Images from Strawbridge Observatory
- Red Mars! (color photo with 12-inch, 9/2003)
- Star Trails Above Dome (color photo, 9/2003)
- Observatory with Crescent Moon (color photo, 9/2003)
- Dome with Crescent Moon #1 (color photo, 9/2003)
- Dome with Crescent Moon #2 (color photo, 9/2003)
- Moon Closeup (B-band CCD image with 16-inch, 0.12 sec exposure, 10/2003)