The EAC: The Education Advocacy Club
We aim to to increase awareness and understanding of the complex issues involved in the current education reform debates, and to increase productive dialogue on education reform on Haverford's campus.
You might have formerly known us as the EDUCATION REFORM CLUB. After heated debate and great suggestions such as Squirrels for Schools our name has changed to the EAC the Education Advocacy Club!! A different label but same great taste!!
Who We Are/ Goals:
- We focus on pressing issues in the American school system(s); including macro and micro issues around the country with a focus on policy issues
- We aim to increase AWARENESS of the challenges and successes of our school system(s) and UNDERSTANDING of the complex issues in the current reform debates
- We hope to inspire and help facilitate greater involvement in education reform and advocacy
What We Do:
- Weekly Dinner Discussions (Every week we send out a couple of articles or short excerpts on current events/issues and facilitate discussion over dinner)
- Movie Screenings (Last year we screened "The Lottery", and aim to host 2 more this year)
- Speaker Series (Last year we brought in Jenny Bogoni from the Philadelphia Youth Network's Project U-Turn, and aim to host at least 2 more this semester)
- School Visits (Last year we visited KIPP Philadelphia, and aim to arrange at least 3 more visits)
- Awareness Poster Campaigns (We aim to run at least 4 campaigns this school year)
- Work with CDO and Ed Dept to create a Job/Internship listing
- We're building an Education Reform Library (mostly comprised of our personal books that we lend out by request and publicize within the group)
Questions? Contact Danny at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ellen email@example.com!