- Provide opportunities for Haverford students to become involved in the larger community.
- Ensure that a well-rounded education extends beyond the classroom and that active participation in one’s social concerns is the appropriate “eighth dimension” to the original seven dimensions of the Haverford curriculum.
- Support and facilitate both students-run projects and individual endeavors involved in community service.
- Provide the needed services to the greater Philadelphia area and beyond. Increase the awareness of the need for community service.
- Promote education through service and encouraging service learning.
Eighth Dimension (8D)
8th Dimension is Haverford's Office of Community Service. We exist to provide community service opportunities to all members of the Haverford Community and to promote service and experiential learning as part of a well-rounded education. The events and programs we organize take three forms: Student Run Projects, Individual Placements and one-time Events & Workdays.
Eighth Dimension was founded in 1978 (although the conversation started in 1976) by a group of students, professors and administrators to integrate experiential learning into Haverford’s curricula and culture. The name “8th Dimension” (albeit a little obscure) referred to the seven other academic “dimensions” of a Haverford liberal arts education (natural science, quantitative analysis, social and behavior sciences, laboratory, history, literature, and field/artistic experience). The founders (including R. Scott Altman ’77, Eric Cullender ’72, Paul Hoffstein ’79, and Robert Waldman ’78) considered service and experiential learning an equally vital component, hence the name. The 8D name not only emphasizes the continued belief in the vitality of public service at Haverford (and the College’s Quaker value of commitment to activism,) but also represents a tradition of collaboration between the student body, faculty, and administration.
- Housing Ownership Assistance Program (HOAP) rebuilding trips (Spring Break)
- Barclay Haunted House (Friday before Halloween)
- Hunger Auction (Week before Thanksgiving)
- Oxfam Fast (Friday before Thanksgiving)
- AIDS Memeorial Quilt Display (World AIDS Day, December 1)
- Easter Egg Hunt (Saturday before Easter)
- Serendipity Day Camp (Summers)
- Street Outreach
- AIDS Service Network
- One-on-One Tutoring
- Bethel Tutoring
- Books Through Bars
- Breakthrough Tutoring
- Stitch n Bitch
Eighth Dimension has a great number of annual events, ongoing projects, and scheduled service days, but we really like to get suggestions from Haverford students. There are so many ways to give back to the community, so please contact us if you have any ideas! We also provide transportation for many of our service projects, but we will always reimburse you for public transportation or mileage if you have to get yourself there.
Sign up for our mailing list and like our facebook page "Haverford 8th Dimension"
Contact us at email@example.com with any questions or comments you might have; our staff is committed to helping you serve in the manner that best suites you.
Staff: Laura Hecht '13, Tim Ibbotson-Sindelar '13, Rosie Henn '13, Catherine Brooks '14, Albert Kim '14, Julia Neumann '14, Michelle Hughes '15,
Interns: Callie Perrone '15, Julie Hutchinson '15, Kathryn Ross '15, Renee King '16