Associate Director, Major Gifts
The Associate Director develops long-term philanthropic relationships with an assigned group of approximately 200 of Haverford’s best-able-to-give alumni, parents, and friends while serving as a key member of the College’s fundraising team over the public phase of the College’s campaign 2014 – 2017. This position will continue after the conclusion of the campaign.
In addition, the Associate Director is involved with creating donor engagement opportunities, attending regional and campaign-specific events, and executing fundraising plans for assigned regional territories. He/she also works collaboratively with other advancement staff members and campaign volunteers to create individual prospective donor strategies that include partnership solicitations. These partnerships will also extend to senior Haverford leadership as it relates to International Council and the management of prospective donors including individuals living in Asia and Europe.
Haverford College will launch a comprehensive fundraising campaign in the Fall of 2014 to support defined campus priorities and initiatives surrounding the academic plan, educating the whole student, access and affordability, student life, and the Annual Fund.
- Maintain, categorize, administer, and actively manage a prospect pool of approximately 200 alumni, parents, and friends of Haverford College. (The majority of prospects live and/or work in New York City, Northern New Jersey, and the mid-west, with a small number of prospects living in Hong Kong, China, and Japan as well as in Europe.)
- Identify and prepare solicitation strategies for identified prospects, most rated between $100,000 to $1,000,000. Solicit and secure major gift, planned gift, and Annual Fund commitments from these prospects.
- Manage the fundraising and special event activities in support of assigned College priorities and initiatives.
- Establish and execute regional travel plans based on priority solicitations and consultation with the Director of Individual Giving.
- Work closely with Prospect Research team and other members of IA to plan individual solicitation strategies in order to manage current identified prospects and to recognize, identify, and introduce new prospects into the overall campaign cultivation pool.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Stewardship on prospect follow-up, proposal creation, and acknowledgement of gift commitments.
- Serve as a strategic partner, mentor, and positive influence to other members of the Individual Giving team.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelors degree required
- Three to five years of major gift fundraising experience or transferable skill equivalent
- Knowledge of fundraising philosophies and approaches
- Previous experience working in higher education, preferably liberal arts institutions will be valued
- Exposure to Plus Delta’s Donor Engagement Process and/or the Raiser’s Edge database ideal
- Prior experience working with alumni volunteers a plus
- Ability to interact with major gift and planned gift prospects as well as leadership alumni volunteers and members of the Board of Managers necessary
- Excellent management, organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Extensive travel required domestically (a minimum of 5-7 days per month), including international travel (approx. 1–3 times per year)
- Evening and weekend work required
- Valid U.S. driver’s license required
To apply to this position, resumes and cover letters should be sent to: Sara Goddard, Individual Giving, Haverford College, 370 Lancaster Avenue, Haverford, PA 19041 or email to email@example.com