Description and Essential Duties:
The Network Engineer is a highly technical, hands-on position and is one of a three-person team with responsibility for the ongoing operation of the wired and wireless network and the systems that protect network security (firewall), deliver wireless networking services (Aruba), configure guest computers for use on the network (Clearpass), deliver DNS and DHCP services, and monitor the overall health and well-being of the network and related systems. This position has primary responsibility to run daily checks on networking and other systems, generate daily reports on network performance, traffic and security, and generally contribute information which the networking team will, in turn, use to plan future network improvements. This position will contribute to every effort within the networking team.
Success in this role will require a combination of:
· An orientation toward detail and the ability to detect and stem budding networking problems.
· Comprehensive understanding of all relevant networking technologies including copper- and fiber-optic network infrastructure, switching and routing protocols, principles and equipment, firewalls and other network security devices, DNS and DHCP, wireless network technology, VPN services, network monitoring and metrics tracking.
· Experience configuring and using Linux, Windows and MacOS.
· Willingness and interest in working with members of the user community on networking-specific problems.
· Work experience with at least two of the following manufacturers: Alcatel, Juniper Networks, Aruba Networks, Fortinet
· Experience working on major network projects, including participation in planning and documentation exercises.
The successful candidate will bring a combination of a bachelor’s degree in a technical field and experience in the requirements of this position through full-time employment experience.
The successful candidate must also have excellent organizational, interpersonal, reading, writing and spoken English skills and a clear sensitivity of, and respect for, the uniqueness of a higher education environment.
Because this position may need to unpack, assemble and connect network and computer hardware, candidates must be able to lift 50lbs and work in spaces where networking equipment and servers are typically found.
About Haverford College:
Located on a wooded suburban campus less than ten miles from the center of Philadelphia, Haverford College is a highly selective liberal arts institution of approximately 1200 students, 500 staff and more than 100 faculty. Founded in 1833, Haverford was the first college established by members of the Society of Friends (Quakers). While the college is not formally affiliated with any religious body today, the values of individual dignity, academic strength, and tolerance upon which it was founded remain central to its character.
In addition to providing a great work environment, Haverford offers generous benefits programs for professional employees, including outstanding medical/dental, vacation, and retirement benefits.
Please tell us how you meet these qualifications in your letter of application, and submit your letter, resume, three references and salary requirements by e-mail to email@example.com. No calls please.