Chemistry Department Job Openings
The Chemistry Department is currently looking to fill two positions:
1) Lab Instructor Biochemistry/Organic Chemistry
The Haverford College Chemistry Department seeks applications for a part time Lab Instructor to begin in the Fall of 2011. The position includes instruction of lab, two to three afternoons per week, over the course of 14 weeks per semester (fall and spring). Responsibilities in addition to lab instruction include, giving a short pre-lab lecture before each lab, supervising undergraduate teaching assistants, holding office hours and grading lab reports. Input on lab development is also welcome. The lab sequence supplements a new sophomore level organic chemistry/biochemistry lecture course, CHEM 2221 and is focused on tools and techniques used in studying biomolecules. Experience with using analytical and biochemical instrumentation, including UV-VIS, fluorescence and NMR spectroscopy, is strongly desired. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled. M.S. in Chemistry required, Ph.D. preferred. For more information, please contact Karin Åkerfeldt (email@example.com). To apply, send CV, transcripts (if degrees were earned in the past 10 years) and contact information of three references to: Lisa Griffin (firstname.lastname@example.org), Haverford College, 370 Lancaster Ave. Haverford, PA 19041. Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and, to diversify its faculty and enrich its curriculum, especially encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
2) Instrument Specialist/Instructional Support
The Instrument Specialist primary responsibilities will include operation, user training, and maintenance of departmental instrumentation. Departmental instrumentation includes,but is not limited to, high field NMR's, IR, UV-VIS, fluorescence spectrometers, LC-MS, GC, GC-MS, and HPLC instrumentation.
- Weekly inspection of the instruments;
- Regular preventative maintenance;
- Troubleshooting equipment malfunctions, and serving as liaison between the department and other service departments within and outside of the college;
- Upgrades and minor repairs;
- Development of training protocols; and
- Training of users in the proper and safe use of the instruments.
- Bachelor's or higher degree in the sciences;
- General expertise in electronics and electronic devices;
- General expertise in computers and scientific software;
- Willingness/eagerness to learn and continue training as appropriate;
- Ability to work with students, faculty and staff;
- Desire to be part of a teaching enterprise; and
- The ability to assist in our departmental curriculum and research programs of the faculty, as needed.
Applicants for the position should email or send their cover letter, resume and references to the following mailing address
Lisa Griffin KINSC Haverford College 370 Lancaster Avenue Haverford, PA 19041 Email: email@example.com
For further information about this position, please contact:
Karin Åkerfeldt, Professor Department of Chemistry Haverford College 370 Lancaster Avenue Haverford, PA 19041 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org