Philadelphia Department of Public Health reports that the influenza activity in the Philly Area is now at high levels as of January 10, 2013.
How to Stay Healthy During Flu Season
- Get your seasonal flu vaccine (check out the flu map vaccine finder for a flu clinic near you).
- Be prepared! Bring a self care kit to campus that includes: a thermometer, acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil), cough syrup, bottled water, sports drinks and soups, alcohol-based hand sanitizer,boxes of tissues
The Health Center has a Cold and Flu Center available to students during regular clinic hours. Free to all students. Security Office is open 24 hours X 7days a week and has a mini cold/flu box available free to all students.
Signs and Symptoms of the Flu
- Fever or feeling feverish/chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (very tired)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
- Avoid others with Flu-like illness
- Stay home or in Dorm for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine, so to avoid spreading to others.
- Practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette to prevent the spread of germs.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill.
How is the flu spread? http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm
Report to the Health Services if you have SEVERE symptoms or if you are at increased RISK for complications (students with underlying conditions associated with higher risk of medical complications from influenza such as pulmonary disease (asthma), cardiovascular disease, renal, hepatic, hematological, neurologic, neuromuscular disease, metabolic disorders (diabetes), morbid obesity, immunosuppression or on long-term aspirin therapy.
Originally posted at: http://www.haverford.edu/news/stories/67161/151