Declaring your major/minor in Linguistics (For Bi-Co Students)
Instructions from Shizhe Huang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For those students who plan to major/minor in Linguistics or Linguistics and Languages, please do the following:
- Email Shizhe Huang (email@example.com) to schedule a meeting. Attach an unofficial transcript to the email. The subject line of the email should be: Declaring major (or minor) in Linguistics—Your Name.
- Before the meeting, please complete the major declaration form issued by the Registrar’s Office at your college and bring it to our meeting. During the meeting we will go over your plan. I will sign the Registrar’s form at the end of the meeting if everything is in order.
- After our meeting, you must go online and complete the Linguistics Major Plan that the Tri-Co Linguistics department requires all potential majors/minors to submit. It's available at: www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/Linguistics/xling14.html
- When done, email the completed form to Dorothy Kunzig (firstname.lastname@example.org) AND Shizhe Huang. We need this departmental form for our record. It is VERY important for a Tri-Co department to keep an accurate and complete record of students from all three colleges. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
- We welcome double majors. Over the last few years, we have seen an increase in the number of students who double major in Linguistics and the following majors: Computer Science, Psychology, Philosophy, Mathematics, Anthropology, Sociology, and English. Please note that at Haverford, a student must have a 3.5 GPA in order to qualify for double majoring. At Bryn Mawr, there is no such specific stipulation. But if you are a Bryn Mawr student considering double majoring, you should discuss your intention with your dean and with me (and your other major advisor).
If you have any questions, please contact Shizhe Huang (email@example.com)
For more information, please visit the departmental website:
Contact Information for Bi-Co students:
Shizhe Huang (黄师哲)
Co-Chair of the Linguistics Department
Shizhe Huang's office hours during the Finals period:
Tuesday, 12/17, 11:30-12:45 or by appointment.
Regular Office hours (open to all students, including potential Linguistics majors):
Tues. 10:00-11:15, Wed. 3:30-5:00pm, or by appointment.
(Please sign up with Karla Alfaro-Urias firstname.lastname@example.org)
Office Location: Stokes 118A1, Haverford