Gest Fellowship for Study in the Quaker Collection
Each year Haverford College Special Collections offers up to three $2,000 one-month fellowships to researchers who are interested in using the unique resources of the Quaker Collection.
We invite applications from researchers at various stages in their career and from any discipline. The most competitive applications creatively explore concerns to which Friends have turned their attention, including literature, mysticism, women’s issues, family history, race relations, and American Indian affairs, as well as religious doctrine and controversies.
Research may be conducted from June 1, 2014 to May 31, 2015.
|Margaret Ralston Gest (1900-1965)|
How to Apply
Submit the following materials, which must
be received electronically by February 3, 2014:
- A three to five page statement* of research goals, including what progress has been made to date; a statement of how this project will benefit the scholarly or activist community with which it intersects, an assessment of how Haverford’s materials can further its progress, and an estimate of when the project is expected to be completed.
- A current vita or resume.
- A writing sample if background does not include published work.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with both the field in which the applicant proposes to work, and with the applicant’s work. (Reference letters must also be received by the February 3 deadline). Please also include their names and contact information in the application materials.
- Permanent and any temporary addresses and phone numbers.
Materials should be sent electronically to:
Ann Upton at email@example.com
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Demonstrated understanding of the applicability of our particular holdings to the project.
- Probability that the project will result in a product that will advance scholarship or activism.
- Evidence of the applicant’s prior familiarity with and effective use of similar collections.
Applicants will be notified by April 1, 2014 of the results.
Please feel free to contact Ann Upton with your questions: