Ms. Coll. 1175
- HOPE DAY NURSERY FOR COLORED CHILDREN
- INDIA FAMINE RELIEF
- INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE
HOPE DAY NURSERY FOR COLORED CHILDREN (Box 49)
I. HOPE DAY NURSERY FOR COLORED CHILDREN - Legal papers, correspondence, etc., 1906-1916. [1 folder in Box 49]
Notes on contents: correspondence, 1912-1916; legal papers, 1906-1915 (includes Resolution of Board of Directors, assignment of mortgage, will of Alice Williams, memorandum, deed), fund-raising brochure, 1914.
Wood provided legal services to the nursery, whose purpose was to "aid the mother who has been forced to become the bread-winner of the family ..."
INDIA FAMINE RELIEF (Box 49)
I. INDIA FAMINE RELIEF - Correspondence, photo-reproductions, clippings, 1919. [1 folder: 9 items in Box 49]
INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE (Boxes 50-51)
Background: established in 1942 from the merger of two organizations. Earlier name "International Rescue & Relief Committee." Wood was a member of the Board and appears in the papers as chairman of IRC in 1947, 1950-1951.
I. INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE - Miscellaneous correspondence and reports, 1947, 1950-1953. [6 folders in Box 50]
Notes on contents: letters, copies of reports, minutes, memoranda, financial papers, lists, legal papers, brochures, newsletter.
Topics include Wood's efforts to get Ex-Justice of the Supreme Court, Owen J. Roberts as Honorary Chairman (all of 1947 correspondence, includes letter of Rufus M. Jones, J. Henry Scattergood), the IRC's "Iron Curtain Refugee Campaign" (1950-51), "Resettlement Campaign for Exiled Professionals" (1950-52), American immigration legislation, public relations proposal for IRC (1952) and financial crisis threatening IRC. Correspondents include David Martin and others.
- Misc. correspondence, "Re: Owen Roberts," 1947.
- Misc. correspondence, reports, minutes, 1950 [includes copies of minutes for April 11, May 9, not in minute folder below].
- Misc. correspondence, reports, minutes, 1951 (Jan. - May) [minutes of May 29].
- Misc. correspondence, reports, minutes, 1951 (June - Sept.) [minutes of June 28].
- Misc. correspondence, reports, minutes, 1951 (Oct. - Dec.) [minutes of Oct. 25, Nov. 29, Dec. 20].
- Misc. correspondence, reports, minutes, 1952-1953 [minutes of March 18, 1952].
II. INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE - Minutes, Oct. 12, 1950 - Sept. 25, 1952. [1 folder in Box 51]
Notes on contents: mimeographed copies of minutes, reports.
III. INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE - "Inter-office Information Bulletin, Jan. - Feb. 1951." [1 folder in Box 51]
Notes on contents: mimeographed copies of reports, memorandum, letters and press release concerned with work of IRC.
Return to: Table of Contents
Contact Diana Franzusoff Peterson (email@example.com or 610-896-1284) for more information about this collection. Please include the manuscript collection number in your request.