Scattergood Family Papers, 1681-1909
Ms. Coll. 1100
9 volumes and 1 package (ca. 768 items)
- Biographical background
- Links to images
- Summary of collection
- Related collections
- Arrangement and description of collection
Primarily papers of the Thomas Scattergood family of Philadelphia and related families (Bacon, Hoskins, Rogers and others).
Thomas Scattergood (1748-1814), Quaker minister, was the son of Joseph and Rebecca (Watson) Scattergood of Burlington, N.J.. In 1772 he m. Elizabeth Bacon (d. 1780), in 1783 he m. Sarah Hoskins (1751-1832).
He traveled extensively in the ministry in America and Great Britain, spending six years in the latter (1794-1800). During his travels in the American South, he spoke out against slavery.
Thomas and Elizabeth Scattergood's son was Joseph Scattergood (d. 1824) who m. 1801 Ann Rogers, their son was Joseph Scattergood who m. 1831 Mary McCollin. Joseph and Mary's son was Joseph Scattergood (1839-1890).
Source for above: Dictionary of Quaker Biography and Scattergood family papers.
The following list brings together all of the image links found throughout this finding aid.
ALS of Edward Woodgate ("not a frend at present, butt I wish to be"), "No 5 Gutter Lane, Cheap Side," not dated, to Thomas Scattergood, telling Scattergood of the effect his preaching has had on him. (78k)
Correspondence, illustrations, marriage certificates, legal and business related papers, photographs, poetry and other miscellaneous papers.
Correspondence includes approx. 320 letters (1781-1814) of Thomas Scattergood (1748-1814) to family and friends chiefly discussing spiritual matters and his travels in Great Britain, New England, North and South Carolina, Virginia, etc.
Also approx. 250 letters (1781-1814) to Scattergood discuss spiritual matters and Friends' activities, correspondents include Jonathan Binns, Josiah Bunting, John Cox, William Dillwyn, Henry Drinker, William Forster, Susanna Horne, Rebecca Jones, John Pemberton, Joseph Scattergood, Rebecca Scattergood, Rachel Smith, and others.
Thirty-six letters (1784-1798) of Sarah (Hoskins) Scattergood to her husband, Thomas Scattergood and approx. 52 letters (1729-1864) of various Friends (chiefly with Hoskins family members), correspondents include John Hoskins, Nicholas Waln and others; extracts (1822-1857) from letters and papers of William Scattergood (1804-1857).
Scrapbook of Mary (McCollin) Scattergood, containing illustrations and portraits of Biblical and Quaker subjects, famous people and places.
Scrapbook (1681-1903) of Alfred G. Scattergood containing letters, marriage certificates and other documents of Scattergood and related families, as well as facsimiles, broadsides and other papers related to Quakers; miscellaneous family papers includes marriage certificates, photographs, poetry, etc.
Additional Scattergood material may be found in: Allinson family papers, 1702-1949. Ms. Coll. 968; Quaker Miscellany, 1659-1984, Ms. Coll. 950.
- Papers are arranged in 9 volumes and 1 box as follows:
- Volume 1 : Letters of Thomas Scattergood, 1781-1795
- Volume 2 : Letters of Thomas Scattergood, 1795-1814
- Volume 3 : Letters to Thomas Scattergood, 1781-1799
- Volume 4 : Letters to Thomas Scattergood, 1799-1814
- Volume 5 : Letters of Sarah Scattergood, 1784-1798
- Volume 6 : Miscellaneous letters and papers, 1729-1864
- Volume 7 : "Selections from the letters and papers of the late William Scattergood, 1860" [William Scattergood (1804-1857)]
- Volume 8 : Scrapbook of Mary (McCollin) Scattergood (miscellaneous pictures and portraits)
- Volume 9 : Scrapbook belonging to Alfred G. Scattergood of Germantown, Pa., 1681 (facsimile) -1903
- Box of Miscellaneous papers, 1772-1909
Papers are arranged chronologically within volumes. Volumes 1-4, 6, 9 are indexed.
Ca. 165 letters by Thomas Scattergood, 1781-1795. Handwritten index to letters in front of volume, giving name of letter-writer, their address, to whom sent, date and page number.
Letters are addressed to David Bacon, Hannah Cathrall, John E. Cresson, Henry Drinker, George Dillwyn, Sarah Harrison, Eliz. Hendricks, Sarah Hoskins, Lydia Hoskins, John Hoskins, John Hunt, Rebecca Jones, Alice Nedham [Needham], John Pemberton, Peter Price, Joseph Scattergood, Mary Scattergood, Rebecca Scattergood and Sarah Scattergood [most are to Joseph, Rebecca and Sarah Scattergood].
Also two letters by David Brooks (1781) and one by Rebecca Scattergood (1764) [mother of TS].
Letters chiefly discuss his spiritual state of mind and his travels in the ministry and visiting various Meetings, includes letters written while traveling in the American South (Virginia, N.C., S.C., etc.) and during his trip to England in 1794-1795. [Letter of 11 mo. 3, 1792 mentions his growing concern for slaves, letter of 2 mo. 23, 1793 tells of preaching to black laborers in Charlestown].
Ca. 154 letters by Thomas Scattergood, 1795-1814. Handwritten index to letters in front of volume. Includes letters written while traveling in Great Britain (1795- 1800) and New England (1811). Also Joseph Scattergood's account of father Thomas Scattergood's death, 4/24/1814 and obituary notice of TS.
Letters are addressed to David Bacon, John Dean, George Dillwyn, Henry Drinker, D. Horne, J. Hoskins, Rebecca Jones, James Pemberton, Joseph Scattergood, Mary Scattergood, Rebecca Scattergood and Sarah Scattergood [most are to Joseph, Rebecca and Sarah Scattergood]
Ca. 121 letters, chiefly addressed to Thomas Scattergood, 1781-1799. Includes letters from Friends in Great Britain. Handwritten index to letters in front of volume.
Letters are from:
- Martha Allinson 
- David Bacon , Richard Baker , Elizabeth Barton , Robert Benson , Sarah Benson , David Berwick , Mary Bevan , John Bevan , Margaret Bevan , Thomas Bewly , Mary Bewly , Jonathan Binns , David Brooks , Josiah Bunting 
- James Clibborn , Clonmel School (Girls) , Samuel Couch , Mary Cove , John Cox (Jr.) , Caleb Cresson , John E. Cresson , Sarah Cresson , John Elliott Cresson , Ann Crowley 
- G. & S. Dillwyn , Henry Drinker , Mary Dudley 
- John Elliott , Susanna Emlen 
- William Farmer , Thomas Fisher , Hannah Forbes , Elizabeth Foulke 
- Elizabeth Gibson , George Gibson , William Gunn 
- Catharine Haines , Truman Harford , Sarah Harrison , William Hartshorne [1, see image below], Elizabeth Hibberd , Susanna Horne , Mary Horne , John Hoskins , Lydia Hoskins , Mary Hoskins 
- ALS of William Hartshorne, 10 mo. 29, 1789, to Thomas Scattergood, encouraging him in the ministry. (98k)
- John Jay , Rebecca Jones 
- William Lucas 
- Elizabeth Marlin , T. Mildred 
- John Pemberton , Sarah Phillips , William Pooley 
- William Rotch , Martha Routh , William Savery , David Sand 1], R. Scattergood 
- T. Scattergood , Joseph Scattergood , Rebecca Scattergood , Henry Smalley , Rachel Smith , Joseph & R. Smith , Robert Smith , Daniel Smith , Deborah Stabler , Mary Stanton 
- John Taber , Sarah Talbot 
- Elizabeth Usher 
- Joseph Whitall 
Ca. 131 letters, chiefly addressed to Thomas Scattergood, 1799-1814; also memo. of Thomas Scattergood. Index to letters in front of volume.
Letters are from:
- John Abbott , Martha Allinson , Thomas Ashby (Jr.) , Edwin A. Atlee 
- Mary Baker , Eliza Barton , Thomas Benson , Robert Benson , Sarah Benson , Tabitha Bevans , Margaret Bevans , Sarah Bevans , J.G. Bevan , Thomas Bevans , Jonathan Binns , Elizabeth Bludwick , Jarvis Brady , David Brooks , Priscilla Bunker 
- Anne Capper , George Churchman , Thomas Colley , Ann Crawley , Micajah Crew 
- William Dillwyn , Ann Dillwyn , Ann & Wm. Dillwyn , Judith N. Dillwyn , Henry Drinker , Mary Dudley 
- Anna Eveleign 
- Ann Fairbank , J. Ford , William Forster (Jr.) , Elizabeth Foulke , William Storrs Fry 
- Margaret Giles 
- Thomas Haggar , E. Hatton , J. Holmes , John Horn , Martha Horne , Susanna Horne , John Hull , Jenny Hull , Jane Hull 
- Rachel M. Jackson , Edward & Mary Janson 
- Elizabeth Kelley 
- William Manson , George Miller , Lindley Murray 
- Mary Newbold 
- Samuel Parsons , Sarah Phillips , Elizabeth Pryor , Mary Pryor , Ann Pryor 
- Elizabeth Raper , Timothy Rogers , Mary Routh 
- S. Shackleton , Elizabeth Shelby , Samuel Smith , Joseph & Rachel Smith , Hannah Smith , Samuel Southall , Deborah Stabler , Robert Sutcliff 
- John Taber , William Tomlinson 
- Elizabeth Usher 
- Mary Watson , Ann Whitlock , Richard Williams , Sarah Woodgate , Edward Woodgate [1, see image below], Anne Wright 
- ALS of Edward Woodgate ("not a frend at present, butt I wish to be"), "No 5 Gutter Lane, Cheap Side," not dated, to Thomas Scattergood, telling Scattergood of the effect his preaching has had on him. (78k)
36 letters of Sarah Scattergood, 1784-1798, addressed to her husband, Thomas Scattergood
Ca. 57 items, with typed index to papers in front of volume.
ca. 52 letters (34 to or by Hoskins family members) written by M. Allinson, Mary Bonsall, Deborah Bell, J. Cox (Jr.), Sarah Cresson, George Dillwyn, Joseph Edgerton, Thomas Evans, Hannah Fisher, Mary B. Garrigues, John Hoskins, Lydia Hoskins, Rachel Hoskins (on the death of her father, 1814), Hinchman Haines, William Jackson, R. Jones, Mary Kirby, Lydia Lancaster, James Mott, L.P. Mott, M. Newbold, Edmund Peckover, John Reyneld, Charity Rotch, Mildred Ratcliff, E. Robson, Thomas Robson, E. Smith, William Weston, Nicholas Waln, John Warder, Daniel Wheeler, Rebecca Young, Peter Yarnall.
also includes the following:
- Account of the death of Elizabeth Allinson, 1768.
- "Members of the Society of Friends in the different Meetings belonging to the Yearly Meeting of Philadelphia," "[J. Robson's] list of members of our Yearly Meeting," n.d. [gives numbers of members]
- On the folly and wickedness of the world. n.d.
- "This remarkable memorial against separation ..." 1657.
- Facsimiles of letter of John G. Whittier, 1839, to cousin Margaret Wendell and silhouette of [JGW?]
269 p., ms. book of extracts (1822-1857)
[inscribed on flyleaf "Mary Scattergood, late Mc[Collin], 1821. Mary Scattergood, 1831 . Presented to her daughter, [CC?] in the year 1836"]
- illustrations from the Bible w/ copied verses, illus. related to Society of Friends, famous people and places, etc.
Ca. 80 items; contains mss., printed and facsimile items (circulars, broadsides, etc.) arranged chronologically. With typed list of contents [w/o page nos.] "List made November 17, 1937."
includes (partial contents):
- original marriage certificates of:
- Thomas Scattergood and Phebe Wetherill (1694)
- John Watson and Abigail Hood (1705)
- William Rogers and Sarah Worrinton (1754)
- Ner Eayre and Grace Allen (1763)
- William Rogers and Ruth Bishop (1765)
- William Rogers and Grace Eyre (1767)
- Joseph Scattergood and Ann Rogers (1801)
- 1 letter of Phebe Scattergood, 6 letters (1732-1738) of Thomas Scattergood (1668-1745), [3 w/ wife, Phebe Scattergood] to son, Joseph Scattergood.
- 1 letter of Thomas Scattergood (1748-1814) to his mother, 1764.
- other letters are William Rogers (1751); Joseph Richards (1753); unsigned (1763) re: death of Mary Neale; Benjamin Mason and Lydia Hollinshead (1768) re: not going to be married
- indenture apprenticing Joseph Scattergood, son of Thomas, to Thomas Chalkley for three years to learn art of a mariner, 1731
- inventory of Thomas Scattergood, decd., carpenter, 1744.
- receipts, 1745-1746, related to estates of Thomas and Phebe Scattergood
- 2 pen and ink sketches of Ackworth School, n.d.
- typed list of items in "envelope" [not all items mentioned in list here]
- ms. volume of "Joseph Scattergood's extracts of letters, 3 mo. 8, 1795" has copies of his letters [chiefly to his son] and some by "R.S. junr." to "cousin" dated 1787-1794; copy of testimony of Mo. Mtg. of Friends of Phila. for the Northern District concerning Thomas Scattergood, decd., 1816; copy of letter of Esther Tuke to Martha Routh, 1794
- 3 items, copies of wills of Thomas Scattergood (1813), Rebecca Scattergood (1764) and Rebecca Scattergood (1793)
- 4 marriage certificates:
- Thomas Scattergood and Elizabeth Bacon (1772)
- Thomas Scattergood and Sarah Hoskins (1783)
- Joseph Scattergood and Mary M'Collin (1831)
- Stephen Pike and Rebecca Scattergood (1817)
- 6 photographs:
- 2 copies of Caroline Cope Scattergood (b. 7/15/1839) taken 1909
- George J. Scattergood (b. 10/1/1835) taken 1909
- Joseph Scattergood (d. 1890)
- group of 5 women outside of Arch Street Mtg. at Yearly Mtg.
- photo. of drawing of Thomas Scattergood (1748-1814)
- ms. volume of poem, "The little looking glass by GC, New Fram'd and enlarged: or A brief remembrance for the inhabitants of Pennsylvania. Affectionately address'd to the people of all ranks, with a suppliment, more particularly addressed to the people called Quakers. By a well-wisher to all mankind." [in hand of Thomas Scattergood]
- ms. volume "A family visit performed by Thos. Scattergood & Susanna Horne to the families of Friends & others Northern District, Philadelphia. Began 12 Mo. 3, 1811, Finished 2 Mo. 26, 1812" gives names of families and numbers and whether members or not
- ms. poem "The following lines were composed for & spoken ... First class of girls ... Benjamin Tucker's school, the concluding day ... 1792 ... copied for Joseph Scattergood"
Return to: Table of contents
Contact Diana Franzusoff Peterson (email@example.com or 610-896-1284) for more information about this collection. Please include the manuscript collection number in your request.