Edward Drinker Cope Papers, 1848-1940 (bulk 1855-1896)
Ms. Coll. 956
ca. 110 items (1 box)
Table of contents:
- Biographical background
- Links to images
- Summary of collection
- Related collections
- Arrangement and description of collection
Edward Drinker Cope (1840-1897) was the son of Alfred and Hannah (Edge) Cope. He attended Westtown School and the University of Pennsylvania. Cope was a professor at Haverford College from 1864-1867 at which time he resigned due to poor health. In 1884 he was the curator of the National Museum in Washington, D.C. and in 1891 taught geology at the University of Pennsylvania. In 1896 he held the position of president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. During his career he discovered and described over 1,000 species of fossil vertebrates and published 600 separate titles.
(Biographical information from: Dictionary of Quaker Biography)
The following are all of the image links within this finding aid.
Letters, notebooks, notes and sketches related to Cope's work in paleontology and related natural sciences. Collection contains sketches of birds, reptiles and amphibians, some colored. Includes letters on various scientific subjects from Alexander Agassiz, Louis Agassiz, Alexander Graham Bell, Pliny Earle Chase, Havelock Ellis, Benjamin Apthorp Gould, Arnold Henry Guyot, Joseph Henry, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Thomas Henry Huxley, Maria Mitchell, Sir Richard Owen, Robert Edwin Peary, Herbert Spencer and others.
Additional Edward Drinker Cope (1840-1897) papers may be found in Cope-Evans family papers, 1732-1911, Ms. Coll. 1170 (Box 5, folder 6).
Collection is arranged in 20 folders, folders 1-3 are notebooks, drawings and miscellaneous letters; folders 4-19 are letters from individuals, arranged alphabetically; folder 20 contains an addition to the Edward Drinker Cope papers.
- .2 Notebooks
"Swainson's classification of birds with a few alterations by Jardine & others. Edward D. Cope. 1855" - includes sketches
"Class Reptila" - also amphibians
- Pictures and drawings
- 2 photographs of amphibians labeled from O.C. Marsh, Oct. 1, 1868 [Othniel Charles Marsh, 1831-1899]
- colored drawing of frogs labeled [S. or T.] H. Richardson
- pencil sketch of snake head
- pencil sketch of frog
- 2 [plates from a book?] of x-ray photographs of snake and fish
- ink sketch of skull
- colored drawings of frogs
- 3 notes (in French) with description of snakes and ink drawings, labeled "[A] Duges" 1892
- colored drawing of golden-hooded flycatcher
- colored drawing of fish
- colored drawings of frogs
- 1 sheet "Development of the Cod, by John A. Ryder"
- Colored drawings of fish ("Ichthaeluris McCaskei" and "I. Kevinskei") labeled "J. Stauffer. 1870" (image 59k)k)
- Miscellaneous letters
letters are from the following:
- Braithwaite, J. Bevan (1818-1905)
ALS, [Aug.] 16, 1889
- Carus, Julius Victor (1823-1903)
2 ALS, 1878-1879
- Chase, Pliny E. (1820-1886)
ALS, [March] 29, 1883
- Darling, W. Boyd
ALS, [May] 22, 1891
- Dumeril, A. August
ALS, Dec. 29, 1858 (in French, addressed to Dr. Hallowell, Phila.)
- Darwin, Francis
ALS, Dec. 19, 1882 (asks to see and make copies of any letters from his father, Charles Darwin)
- Dean, Bashford (1867-1928)
ALS, Jan. 7, 1892
- Gaudry, Albert (1827-1908)
3 ALS, 1878-1879 (in French)
- Haeckel, Ernst (1834-1919)
ALS, [April 12], 1894
- Henry, Joseph (1797-1878)
2 ALS, 1869-1870
- Herrera, A.L.
ALS, Dec. 2, 1893 (accompanied by pencil sketch of skull)
- LeConte, Joseph (1823-1901)
ALS, Sept. 1, 1894
- Mitsukuri, K.
ALS, March 21, 1893
- Newton, Alfred (1829-1907)
ALS, Nov. 15, 1893
- Poulton, E.B.
ALS, Feb. 14, 1894
- Remsen, Ira (1846-1927)
ALS, March 28, 1889
- Romanes, G.J. (1848-1894)
ALS, Jan. 4, 1890
- Smith, Daniel B. (1792-1883)
ALS, [July] 6, 1871
- Stuart, Edwin S.
ALS, April 26, 1894
- Agassiz, Alexander (1835-1910)
5 ALS 1884-1896 Museum of Comparative Zoology, Cambridge, Mass.
- Agassiz, Louis (1807-1873)
4 ALS 1867-1869
topics: fossils, evolution, etc.
Page 1 Letter of Louis Agassiz, Cambridge, Feb. 5, 1869, to Edward Drinker Cope. Letter discusses Cope's article "Origin of Genera" and evolution. Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 (each approx. 78k)
- Bell, Alexander Graham (1847-1922)
ALS May 5, 1888
topics: hereditary deafness in humans
- Ellis, Havelock (1859-1939)
2 ALS Oct. 4 and Dec. 2, 1893
topics: publication of EDC's "Lamarkism, the factors of evolution."[?] in the Contemporary Science Series
- Gould, Benjamin A. (1824-1896)
ALS Cambridge, March 30, 1896 addressed to Prof. Wm. H. Collins
topics: observations of double stars
- Guyot, Arnold Henry (1807-1884)
2 ALS Princeton, N.J., 1875 and 1878
- Holmes, Oliver Wendell (1809-1894)
ALS Boston, Nov. 26, 1889
topics: thanks EDC for a copy of "Outline of the philosophy of evolution"
- Huxley, Thomas H. (1825-1895)
ALS London, Feb. 2, 1867
topics: sends EDC copy of his paper "Euskel[esauum]"
- McCosh, James (1811-1894)
ALS Princeton, N.J., Dec. 17, 1878
- Mitchell, Maria (1818-1889)
ALS Poughkeepsie, Nov. 7, 1881
- Owen, Richard (1804-1892)
6 ALS 1873-1887 topics: fossils
- Peary, Robert E. (1856-1920)
TLS Phila., Oct. 8, 1892
topics: article for the Naturalist
- Pepper, William (1843-1898)
2 ALS [Phila.?], Sept. 29, 1889 and undated
topics: collection of EDC
- Rhoads, James E. (1828-1895)
2 ALS Bryn Mawr, 1885 and 1886
topics: awarding of honorary degree to EDC from Heidelburg University
- Seeley, Harry G.
4 ALS 1871-1884
- Bigsby gold medal awarded to EDC from Geological Society of London
- EDC's trip to England
- regrets that he can't come to America
- Spencer, Herbert (1820-1903)
ALS London, March 8, 1893
- Spencer's article "The inadequacy of natural selection"
- 20. Cope, Edward Drinker (1840-1897)
Additions to papers [Gift of Ernest and Ruth Dewees, Nov. 1971]
- photocopies of EDC's notebook "Swainson's classification of birds with a few alterations..."
- Ms. "The history of the Art Gallery of Laodicea' a parody with notes by Henry J. Cadbury"
- notebook inscribed "Edward D. Cope" on cover, "Observations in plantas atque animalia consuetudinesque, MDCCCLVIII" , with some sketches
- article from The Haverfordian, May 1940, vol. LIX, no. 2, entitled "Edward Drinker Cope (1840-1897)"
- pocket diary "Excelsior Diary for 1884"
- notebook of classification scheme
- ALS May, 23, 1862 from J. Thomas
- misc. botanical notes (lists of plant names)
- notes on birds (lists of names)
- notes on trees (lists of names)
- misc. notes on plants and animals (1848 and undated)
- 2 essays (schoolwork?)
- pocket notebook "Excelsior diary for 1893"
Return to: Table of contents
Contact Diana Franzusoff Peterson (email@example.com or 610-896-1284) for more information about this collection. Please include the manuscript collection number in your request.