Programs: Travel and Research Funding
KINSC Summer Stipend
In order to support external research and academically-oriented service projects, the KINSC funds summer stipends, which were established to strengthen and maintain relationships with institutions outside Haverford nationally and internationally. This stipend program complements existing opportunities for summer research for students in faculty science labs at Haverford.
The KINSC summer stipends provide financial support for students who are able to secure unpaid off-campus laboratory research or public policy internships that have a significant natural science component. The KINSC is particularly interested in supporting summer internships that build upon the student's learning from previous coursework or mentored research, and that will enhance opportunities for learning and scholarly research in the future. Applications require a detailed project proposal written by the student and a letter of support from the prospective off-campus research or internship mentor, as well as from a Haverford faculty member.. Applications for summer stipends are reviewed by the KINSC Steering Committee. The deadline for receipt of applications is 5 p.m. Thursday, February 17, 2011.
Summer 2010 stipend recipients were:
- Zoe Becker '12- Family Health project–Chicago, Illinois
- Jennifer Campbell '11-Astronomy research at Yale
- Genna Cherichello '11-Music Cognition at Neurosciences Institute, San Diego
- Kelley Neil '12-Public Health project at the Lourdes Center
- Emily Northrop '13-Environmental Science at Harvard University
- Abigail Novick '12-Learning Disability research
- Brian Pepe-Mooney '10-Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering research in Turkey
- Elizabeth Willis '13 - Sea turtle conservation, Greece
- Amanda Zheutlin '11-Psychology research at University of Washington
Summer 2009 stipend recipients were:
- Lindsay McCormick ’10 -- Oakland Children's Hospital
- Justin Sears ’10 -- DAAD Rise Internship, Aachen, Germany
- Fiona Shaw ’10 -- Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania
- Matt Stern ’11 -- Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania
Student Travel Stipend
Funds are available to support travel to professional meetings and workshops.
Funding can support a student as part of a faculty- supported project or student-initiated academic experience. Requests must be made at least two weeks in advance of travel, require sponsorship of a faculty member, and should not exceed $1,500.00. The KINSC works jointly with the Provost's office to review applications and, in appropriate cases, may recommend the provision of a grant from the Louis Green Fund.
Past projects have included:
- Travel to the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing
- American Society of Hematology annual meeting
- Research cruise in the South Pacific collecting deep sea corals with alum Jess Adkins ‘90
- Immunology research at the University of Minnesota
- Research with the Department of Biophysical Chemistry at Lund University, Sweden
This annual summer support fund has been established by the Kovaric family in memory of Brian (Haverford Chemistry ’05.) The fund will support one first year / rising sophomore as a summer research student in the natural sciences for a 10 week appointment. The student is required to present a poster at the end of the summer and to write a letter of thanks to the family (which can be sent through the Provost or Institutional Advancement).