Building and Fire Research Laboratory Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program
The research opportunities within BFRL include a wide range of topics from: working in nanotechnology and MEMS, measuring the performance of full scale building structures and determining the economic benefit of building choices. This work requires a diversity of specific professional background training spanning all disciplines in the physical and computer sciences.
Student Eligibility Criteria
- Intent to pursue a Ph.D.
- GPA of 3.0/4.0, or better.
- Must be U. S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Two letters of recommendation into the program by physical science or engineering professors/department chairs, student transcript, and letter of intent/personal statement.
Plan of Operation
- SURFers work directly with NIST Research Advisors
- SURFers participate in weekly seminar program, during which Fellows and Advisors present their research projects; SURFers also participate in extramural group activities intended to enrich the fellowship experience
- Fellows are encouraged to present their research results at National Meetings
- SURFers are encouraged, but not required to pursue their Ph.D. through NIST collaborative programs with local universities.
- Research advisors will be encouraged to visit the host colleges to discuss NIST research
For more information contact:
Dr. Chris White NIST 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8621 Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8621 Phone: (301) 975-6016 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org