Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics at University of South Florida
Biostatistics is a growing field that has become indispensible in advancing medicine and improving health. Yet nation-wide there is a critical shortage of biostatisticians with postgraduate-level training. The Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics (SIBS), funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, is a 6-week program to stimulate undergraduate students’ interests in pursuing a graduate program in Biostatistics. It also exposes the students to exicting career opportunitie
The program features...
- Six-week living and studying on the Tampa campus of University of South Florida
- Field visits to various healthcare service and research settings; hands-on training and lectures with top biostatisticians, epidemiologists, and clinicians; analyses of real data sets from landmark studies
- College credits (4) that can be transferred back to the participant's home institution
- Access to university computing systems, libraries and other facilities.
- A wide variety of extracurriculum activities
- Tuition and fees, living, food, and travelling all paid for by the program
Participants in the six-week program will...
- Meet expert biostatisticians, clinicians, and epidemiologists who are actively conducting medical, health, and clinical research, learn about their work, share their passion and professional experience, and hear their life stories
- Learn about exicting opportunities for graduate studies, a professional career as a biostatistical scientist in health-related fields
- Learn the principles of biostatistics from experts in the field
- Gain hands-on experience in analyzing real data collected in landmark clinical trials and observational studies
- Participate in field work in clinical and health research settings