Anticipating the In/Visible conference, the Humanities Center will sponsor a two-session reading group led by Debora Sherman and Kristin Lindgren. Over the course of two dinner meetings, we will discuss brief selections of texts and a few works of visual art. If interested, please contact Thea Hogarth (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, 2/9/11.
Session #1: Friday, February 11th, 6:00 p.m., Stokes 102
- Tobin Siebers, "Introducing Disability Aesthetics," pp. 1-20 in Disability Aesthetics
- Images on Katherine Sherwood's website
- Georgina Kleege's short essay "Brain Work: A Meditation on the Painting of Katherine Sherwood"
- Georgina Kleege, "The Mind's Eye," pp. 93-121 in Sight Unseen
Session #2: Friday, February 18th, 6:00 p.m., Stokes 102
- Lennard Davis, "Visualizing the Disabled Body: The Classical Nude and the Fragmented Torso," pp. 126-157 in Enforcing Normalcy
- Exhibit website for Re/Formations
- Optional reading: Siebers, "What Can Disability Studies Learn from the Culture Wars?" pp. 57-82 in Disability Aesthetics