Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action
In keeping with Haverford College's long-standing policy of non-discrimination, the Board of Managers of Haverford College has established a program of affirmative action. The goal of this program is to attract and retain staff of high quality and diverse backgrounds and to do so without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, veteran status, or other protected characteristic. In accordance with the Affirmative Action Policy, the College recruits persons in these protected categories as candidates for positions that become available at Haverford. The results of the hiring process are reviewed regularly by the Affirmative Action Officer to make certain these goals are being met.
Job Openings: Assistant Director of Institutional Research
The foundational layer of an effective Institutional Research (IR) Office is the ability to capture, maintain, use, present, and explain accurate, comprehensive, and timely data in support of College priorities, including academic excellence and outcomes grounded in a diverse, highly engaged, liberal arts experience.
Originally posted on: 08/11/14
The Assistant Director of Institutional Research is responsible for the creation, management and use of institutional data compiled from various sources to meet the informational needs of both internal and external constituencies.
· Institutional factbook and Common Data Set (CDS) compilation and publication.
· Preparation and submission of numerous college guidebook and other external surveys, as well as responding to ad hoc campus data requests, and providing support for other offices in meeting federal reporting requirements.
· Maintenance of longitudinal institutional and selected comparative data within the IR Office. Involvement in the transition to a College-wide data warehouse and the resultant changes in protocol for data maintenance and reporting.
· Survey administration and analysis (e.g. consortial and institutionally-specific surveys) for assessment purposes.
· IR Website management and revision.
· Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)compliance documentation. Involves monitoring legislation and reporting requirements, coordinating the publication of compliance documentation on the institutional HEOA website.
· Primary institutional contact for HEDS and NEAIR, including conference attendance.
· Regular interactions with the Director to review projects and provide status reports.
· Stewardship of professional relationships with other campus offices, external data collectors, and contacts at peer institutions.
· Other projects as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
· Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Accuracy and timeliness are both essential. Ability to anticipate and meet firm deadlines is required.
· Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills. Analytical capabilities to review, analyze, and interpret data as well as recognize/resolve inconsistencies.
· Advanced Excel skills, including charts. Strong skills with other PC applications, such as MS Word, and MS PowerPoint to summarize and present data.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and interact professionally with a variety of audiences.
· Experience in summarizing data using SPSS, and creating attractive, and effective presentations, including tables and charts, for multiple audiences. Knowledge of simple descriptive statistics.
· Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and security procedures regarding the storage and use of confidential data.
· Familiarity and interest in higher education research and the use of data to pursue academic and related institutional objectives, including academic excellence and outcomes, and support for a diverse and engaged community.
· Experience managing, maintaining, documenting, and working with data using the MySQL relational database management system in a Unix/Linux environment and the MS SQL Server database management system in a Microsoft environment. Ability and experience in interpreting data table structures and merging data originating from different sources and formats.
· Experience with a variety of application query tools (for PeopleSoft, and other enterprise systems)
· Experience with web tools, including Drupal and Wordpress, and Qualtrics for survey design.
· Must be able to work independently, focusing on the established priorities of the office, as well as a member of a team. A professional work ethic, good interpersonal skills, reliability, composure and sensitivity to shared decision- making in an institution with a Quaker heritage are required.
Education and Experience
· Required: Bachelor’s degree with strong quantitative component; Three or more years of responsible experience working with data and presenting summary information, in an educational or similar setting.
· Preferred: Master’s degree with relevant experience.
Resumes should be sent to Catherine S. Fennell, Director of Institutional Research, Haverford College 370 Lancaster Avenue, Haverford, Pa 19041. Email: email@example.com