Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action
In keeping with Haverford College's long-standing policy of non-discrimination, the Board of Managers of Haverford College has established a program of affirmative action. The goal of this program is to attract and retain staff of high quality and diverse backgrounds and to do so without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, veteran status, or other protected characteristic. In accordance with the Affirmative Action Policy, the College recruits persons in these protected categories as candidates for positions that become available at Haverford. The results of the hiring process are reviewed regularly by the Affirmative Action Officer to make certain these goals are being met.
Job Openings: Pre-Health Advisor
Haverford College is seeking qualified candidates to apply for the position of Pre-Health Advisor, a 1/2-time position. Successful candidates will meet the qualifications described below and demonstrate significant insight into the distinctive needs of the most ethnically, racially, and socio-economically diverse and selective liberal arts college in the country.
Originally posted on: 02/26/14
An institution with a Quaker heritage, Haverford College has an exceptionally strong program in the natural sciences and a new Health Studies minor. The Pre-Health Advisor currently assists more than forty graduating seniors and alumni to secure entrance to medical school every year, and advises students and alumni interested in public health and other health care professions.
- Required: Master’s Degree required; excellent interpersonal communication, networking, organizing and writing skills.
- Strongly Preferred: Counseling/advising skills, interest/experience in medical or public health fields; Ph.D. preferred
- Preferred: Facility with web and social media.
- Advises current students and alumni interested in medicine and other health-related professions.
- Holds informational meetings for current students at all stages of their undergraduate careers regarding medical school selection criteria, MCAT tests, and application to health professions schools.
- Coordinates the writing of letters of recommendation/evaluation in collaboration with a faculty committee and works with an administrative assistant to ensure that such letters are sent to health professions schools in a timely manner.
- Provides candidates with feedback on essays, choice of schools, timing of application and taking of MCAT, and interviewing skills
- Organizes faculty Committee on Recommendation to Medical School and keeps them apprised of changes in requirements, acceptance rates.
- Develops relationships with admissions officers and other advisors and gathers up-to-date information on program admissions requirements by attending professional meetings, reading websites and list-serves, and visiting health professions schools.
- Plans informational programming for current students featuring Haverford alumni, admissions officers from professional schools, and practitioners in health professions.
- Advises student groups, such as the Pre Health Committee.
- Collaborates on joint programs with Bryn Mawr College
- Occasionally assists with other services and programs of the Center for Career and Professional Advising (CCPA) as needed.
Haverford is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and strongly encourages applications and nominations of persons of color, women, and members of other under-represented groups.
Applicants should email a letter of application, resume/curriculum vitae, and a list of references to: Amy M. Feifer, Center for Career and Professional Advising, Haverford College, 370 Lancaster Avenue, Haverford, PA 19041-1392, email@example.com [in subject put: Pre-Health Advisor Application]. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin on March 7, 2014 and will continue until the process reaches a successful conclusion.