Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action
In keeping with Haverford College's long-standing policy of non-discrimination, the Board of Managers of Haverford College has established a program of affirmative action. The goal of this program is to attract and retain staff of high quality and diverse backgrounds and to do so without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, veteran status, or other protected characteristic. In accordance with the Affirmative Action Policy, the College recruits persons in these protected categories as candidates for positions that become available at Haverford. The results of the hiring process are reviewed regularly by the Affirmative Action Officer to make certain these goals are being met.
Job Openings: Central Heating Plant (CHP) Operator
Reporting to the Utilities Supervisor and under minimal supervision, the Central Heating Plant Operator performs the work of Stationary Engineer including but not limited to: maintaining and repairing medium pressure steam generation vessels, pumps, and associated mechanical equipment; ensuring proper water treatment.
Originally posted on: 11/11/13
· Performs all duties peculiar to, and normally required in, the trade of power plant mechanic.
· Operates, fires, and maintains boilers to meet the need for adequate steam with the view toward energy-efficient operations.
· Maintains and makes adjustments, as required, to automatic pressure and temperature controls.
· Reads gauges and meters and maintains accurate records of utility and fuel usage logs.
· Performs preventive maintenance on all power house equipment and cleans all boilers once per year.
· Tests water for various properties and adds and adjusts water treatment chemicals as needed. Maintains soft water system and adds salt as needed.
· Monitors gas meters, including the Metrotec monitor for service interruptions, and switches to alternate fuel when necessary.
· Maintains oil tank levels and monitoring system. Inspects and maintains all power house man holes, keeping them pumped out and dry. Inspects all related valves and sensors, reports to supervisor when in need of repair.
· Coordinates with supervisor, all contracted work and assists contractor when necessary, making sure that job is completed as to specification.
· Maintains and monitors, in conjunction with the Equipment Mechanic, the emergency generators in order to ensure timely and proper operation of the emergency power system.
· Communicates with the Utilities Supervisor to make him aware of any malfunctions that would lead to failure of utility services and responds to emergency calls at all hours to correct problems in the Central Heating Plant.
· Promotes a safe working environment by following Haverford College safety policies and procedures; recognized industry standards, practices, and operational guidelines; OSHA regulations; and relevant building codes and regulations.
· Maintains written records including, but not limited to, time sheets, work orders, and inventory control documentation.
· Plans work to ensure cost effective use of labor and materials. Prepares and submits to appropriate supervisor, as needed, lists of materials required to complete assigned tasks.
· Teams with other trades in replacement and renovation work as required.
· Maintains an acceptable attendance record, is punctual, and meets deadlines. Informs supervisor of any unscheduled leave time in a timely manner.
· Performs duties and responsibilities with view toward Division, Department, and College goals and in support of faculty, staff, and institutional missions.
· Establishes and maintains a positive and cooperative working relationship with members of the Department and the College community.
· Maintains proficiency at current level and continually updates knowledge through appropriate courses, seminars, publications, and contact with others in the trade. Participates in training sessions and seminars.
· Performs other duties as assigned within the normal scope of the department's
responsibilities and the individual's capabilities in support of the mission of the College and its programs.
· High school graduate or equivalent.
· Minimum of five years experience in a power house setting, two years as a stationary engineer, preferably in an institution of higher education.
· Ability to think clearly and act quickly in an emergency.
· Skilled in maintenance and repair procedures including preventive maintenance, equipment failure analysis, construction, installation and fabrication techniques typical of the trade.
· Ability to demonstrate skill in the use of hand and power tools, and other tools related to the trade; must provide the basic tools of the boiler operator trade.
· Ability to read and interpret blueprints and systems diagrams.
· Ability to effectively work individually or in teams as well as with diverse groups of people; to interact with students, faculty, administration, and peers in a positive and helpful manner.
· Ability to work effectively in a service-oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities; to follow through and carry out assignments; to effectively communicate orally and in writing in English; and to follow both verbal and written directions in English.
· Knowledge of pertinent OSHA rules, including the ability to understand and apply related Haverford College policies and procedures. Ability to observe and practice safe working habits and to maintain security of buildings, spaces, and systems.
· Must be in good physical condition and be able to perform heavy-duty work requiring physical exertion. Must be able to bend, crawl, reach, kneel, and sit. Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs. and to enter and move through limited access and confined spaces, and to assemble and climb tall ladders and scaffolding.
· Must possess and maintain a valid Pennsylvania drivers license.
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and names of three references to: Mr. William Anderko, Haverford College, 370 Lancaster Ave., Haverford, PA 19041-1392. Or via Fax number: 610-896-1095 or Email: email@example.com