Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action
In keeping with Haverford College's long-standing policy of non-discrimination, the Board of Managers of Haverford College has established a program of affirmative action. The goal of this program is to attract and retain staff of high quality and diverse backgrounds and to do so without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, veteran status, or other protected characteristic. In accordance with the Affirmative Action Policy, the College recruits persons in these protected categories as candidates for positions that become available at Haverford. The results of the hiring process are reviewed regularly by the Affirmative Action Officer to make certain these goals are being met.
Job Openings: Admission Counselor or Assistant Director of Admission
The Admission Counselor or Assistant Director will be involved in all aspects of the general admission process: recruitment travel, interaction with prospective students and their families, interviewing, application review, and the selection of candidates. The Admission Counselor or Assistant Director will also be involved in other aspects of admission operations as assigned by the Dean of Admission, depending upon specific skills and interests.
Originally posted on: 04/18/13
The position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to relate to a broad range of constituents (students, parents, alumni, high school counselors, etc.), have an appreciation for and sensitivity to a variety of backgrounds and traditions from which students may come, and the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively.
A more specific list of responsibilities would include, but not be limited to:
- Traveling within a defined national territory to visit high schools, attend college fairs and conferences, and interview students.
- Reading and evaluating applications and participating in the committee process to select candidates for admission.
- Interviewing prospective candidates on and off-campus.
- Conducting information sessions.
- Answering admission inquiries from prospective students, parents, high school counselors, and others.
- Planning and implementation of various on and off-campus programs and initiatives.
- Building and maintaining relationships with high schools and community-based organizations.
And may include, but not be limited to:
- Oversight of student volunteers and student employees (student interns, student interviewers, overnight hosts, tour guides, and in-office hosts).
- Serving as liaison with other campus offices and/or departments.
- Working with alumni admission volunteers.
- Support of day-to-day admission processes.
A Bachelor’s degree is required for this position, as is a valid driver’s license. No prior admission experience is necessary at the Admission Counselor level; 2 years of experience in admission or related fields is expected for the Assistant Director level. This position would report directly to the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid.
Please submit a resume and letter of interest by May 3, 2013 to Mary Maier, Associate Director of Admission, 370 Lancaster Avenue, Haverford, PA, 19041. Application materials can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.