Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action
In keeping with Haverford College's long-standing policy of non-discrimination, the Board of Managers of Haverford College has established a program of affirmative action. The goal of this program is to attract and retain staff of high quality and diverse backgrounds and to do so without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, veteran status, or other protected characteristic. In accordance with the Affirmative Action Policy, the College recruits persons in these protected categories as candidates for positions that become available at Haverford. The results of the hiring process are reviewed regularly by the Affirmative Action Officer to make certain these goals are being met.
Job Openings: Faculty Administrative Assistant
Reporting to the Senior Assistant to the Provost, the Faculty Administrative Assistant will provide full administrative support to the faculty and department chairs in the assigned location by performing recurring procedures, and also by acting on non-routine situations through application of office guidelines and general practices. Will perform duties with minimal direction, requires general supervision for assigned special activities.
Originally posted on: 02/28/13
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide full administrative support to the faculty and department chairs. Create and maintain calendars of their administrative duties, making certain College deadlines are met and compile/prepare complex reports at their request.
2. Coordinates the preparation/duplication of course packets, assignment sheets, etc.; prepares routine correspondence, syllabi, recommendations, one-time reports and special departmental specific materials. Is responsible for own, and to a limited extent, principals’ quality of work by reviewing materials for accuracy and conformity with procedures. Utilizes specialized and technical terminology; ensures that copies and attachments are accurately distributed in a timely manner.
3. Coordinates special events for the departments/programs. Work with the department chair, program and concentration coordinators, and the Registrar’s Office, to schedule courses and classroom assignments. Work with Director of Academic Scheduling and Distinguished Visitors to set up speaking engagements, travel arrangements, overnight accommodations, and dinners for guest lecturers. Generates and distributes announcement and coordinates lecture series. Anticipates needs and prepares materials for speakers.
4. Regularly reviews the department website in consultation with the department chair. Submit requests for updating and/or revising content to the Academic Web Support Specialist.
5. Tracks department/program expenses; coordinates administrative forms processing for the office. Maintain highly reliable record-keeping system. Exercise discretion in all matters of confidentiality.
6. Oversees/assists in training student support staff.
7. Orders supplies and distributes mail in a timely fashion.
8. Under direction of the supervisor, may conduct special projects as assigned.
9. Responsible for maintaining office machines and equipment, coordinating repair services as needed.
10. Act as building advocate. Notify Facilities Management Coordinator of building issues that need attention and follow up to ensure issue has been resolved.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE APPLIED
Experience/Proficiency Level: College degree strongly preferred. 3-5 years’ experience with progressive responsibility in an administrative support capacity or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be self-directed yet collaborative and able to multitask and prioritize changing workload. Experience working in an academic setting, particularly higher education, is strongly desired.
Please send one pdf file containing a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references to
Haverford College Search Committee at email@example.com.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and strongly encourages applications and nominations from persons of color, women, and members of other under-represented groups.