Benefits: Paid Time Off

Paid Holidays

The College provides the following holidays:

New Year's Day
Spring Break (2 days)
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day

Friday after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Christmas Break ( 2 or 3 days)

If one of these holidays falls on a weekend, the College will be closed on an appropriate weekday. 

The College may extend the Christmas break for the purpose of energy conservation, in which case Christmas shutdown will extend for six days - e.g. Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, three additional days and New Year's Eve. The Human Resources Office publishes a schedule of holiday dates annually.

If you are a full-time employee, you receive full pay for the above holidays that fall during your scheduled work year. If you work less than 52 weeks, you will not be paid for holidays that occur outside your work year. For example, if you work only during the academic year, you will not be paid for Memorial and Independence Days. If you are a part-time employee, you are only paid for the hours you normally would have worked on the day of the holiday. Other employees than are not eligible for paid holidays.

Employees required to work on a holiday will be paid their normal hourly rate as well as their holiday pay, unless given a substitute day off in the same pay week.  An overtime rate will be paid for hours worked on College holidays only if non-exempt employees are in a pay status in excess of 40 hours for that week.

Personal Days

After one year of service, full-time employees are allotted two personal days per calendar year.  New employees hired between January 1 and June 30 will receive two personal days in the following calendar year; new employees hired between July 1 and December 31 will receive one personal day which may be taken in the second half of the following calendar year. Employees working only during the academic year receive 1 1/2 personal days. Part-time employees are entitled to one personal day that is proportional to their employment level per calendar year.  For example, an employee who regularly works four hours per day may take a day off for which he or she will be paid four hours.  Other employees are not eligible for personal days.

Personal days are designed to allow the employee to select paid days off which suit differing individual needs and circumstances (for example, your birthday, Good Friday, Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday, Rosh Hashanah).  Personal days, like vacation days, should normally be scheduled in advance and with the approval of your supervisor and cannot be accumulated and carried over to the next calendar year.


Paid Vacation

Paid vacation days are provided based on your length of service with the College.  The timing of vacation is subject to the approval of your supervisor.  Supervisors will endeavor to accommodate your choice of vacation, but the work of the office or department may preclude your absence at certain times of the year.  In the unlikely event two employees in the same office or department opt for the same vacation period and the supervisor cannot approve both requests, the request of the employee with the longest period of service with the College will receive first consideration.

The annual vacation period is from January 1 through December 31.  The number of vacation days or length of the vacation is based on your anticipated length of service as of December 31 of that vacation period.  If you leave the employment of the College before December 31 and have earned but not used vacation days as of the date of your departure, you will receive pay for the unused days in your last paycheck.  If you leave the employment of the College before December 31 and have taken vacation days in excess of those earned as of your date of departure, such unearned days of vacation will be deducted from your final paycheck.

Vacation days must be taken in the year in which they are earned.  Earned vacation days may not be carried forward to the following year.

Paid vacation for full-time employees who work 12 months is:

Length of Service
Less than 1 year as of December 31
At least 1 full year as of Dec 31
At least 4 full years as of Dec 31
At least 10 full years as of Dec 31
At least 15 full years af of Dec 31
At least 20 full years as of Dec 31
At least 25 full years as of Dec 31

Paid Vacation as of January 1
One day/month of employment, up to 10 days
10 days
15 days
20 days
21 days
22 days
23 days

Full-time employees who work less than a full year (e.g., the nine months of the academic year) will receive vacation days prorated to the work year.  For example, if you work 39 weeks, you are eligible for 75% (39/52) of the vacation days listed in the above schedule.  Your vacation days will be taken within your work year (e.g., the academic year) rather than on a calendar year basis.

Part-time employees who work part-time for the entire year (e.g., 4 hours per day for 52 weeks) will receive the same number of vacation days based on length of service as full-time employees.  However, you will be paid only for the hours you normally work each day (e.g., 4 hours).

If you work part-time for less than the full year (e.g., the nine months of the academic year), you will receive vacation days prorated to your work year.  For example, if you work 39 weeks, you are eligible for 75% (39/52) of the vacation days listed in the above schedule.  Your vacation days will be taken within your work year (e.g., the academic year) rather than on a calendar year basis.


Paid Sick Days

The following policy on paid sick leave applies to all full-time and part-time non-exempt staff employees of the College.  Other and initial review employees are not eligible for paid sick days but are covered by workers' compensation insurance if injured during the course of their duties.

Sick days are designed to provide employees with protection against loss of wages due to illness. Sick days are to be used for illness or scheduled appointments with doctors. Employees must notify their immediate supervisor within one hour of their scheduled starting time on any day they are unable to report to work. If the absence is caused by illness or injury, the supervisor may request a certificate from the attending physician attesting to the medical reasons for the absence and providing a medical evaluation of when the employee will be able to return to work. Certificates from attending physicians are normally requested only when there has been extensive use of sick days, either in a single extended episode or with a series of individual absences. In such circumstances, an employee will be notified in writing that such documentation will be required. When a requested attending physician's certificate is not provided, the employee will not be paid for the absence.

The annual accrual period for sick days is January 1 through December 31. Employees are allotted sick days at the rate of 1 day per month of employment (12 days annually). One day is the equivalent of the normally scheduled workday. For example, if you are a part-time employee who normally works four hours per day, you will be paid for four hours on a sick day. Unused sick days are accumulated from one year to the next to a maximum of 130 days (6 months).

Employees with less than one year of service as of January 1 are eligible to be paid for sick days that have been allotted up to the time they are sick. Additional sick days taken will be unpaid. Employees with at least one year of service as of January 1 are eligible to be paid for sick days that will be accrued in the current year. For example, if you are sick for 5 days in February, and your unused allotted sick days total 3 days, you will be paid for the additional 2 days that you are sick, even though you haven't yet been allotted those two additional days.

If you leave the employment of the College and have been paid for sick days that you haven't been allotted as of your termination date, those days paid to you will be deducted from your final paycheck. Unused sick days will not be paid to you when you end your employment with the College.

Paid Sick Days - Dependent Care

The College recognizes that employees with dependents may need time to deal with illness of those dependents on an occasional basis. Employees may utilize their sick days to deal with such situations. In addition to the definition of dependent covered on page 9 of the Staff Handbook, this use of sick days can also apply to the short-term care of a parent living in the home of the employee. Extended illness of a spouse or domestic partner, son, daughter or parent is covered under the Family and Medical Leave policy of the College.

All other departmental rules apply to an attending physician's certificate concerning the dependent's illness. For instance, if an employee is required to provide an attending physician's certificate for sick time used, that employee must also provide an attending physician's certificate concerning the dependent's illness.

Short-term Disability Leave

The goal of the short-term disability leave program is to complete a bridge until the long-term disability insurance coverage of the College becomes effective. Only Full-time employees are eligible for short-term disability leave which, when granted, will provide full salary and continuation of benefits until the start of the long-term disability insurance.

After one year of employment as a full-time employee, an employee whose absence has extended for longer than 8 weeks due to illness or injury may apply to the College for a short-term disability leave under the following conditions:

           1) The employee has used up accumulated sick days and normal vacation.

           2) The employee submits medical documentation requested by the College, including a second opinion if needed.

           3)  The request for short-term disability leave is the result of one continuing condition and not a series of separate problems.

Short-term disability leave is not an entitlement. It is granted at the College's discretion, after the conditions of each case have been evaluated by the Vice President for Finance and Administration.

If you have accumulated enough sick days, there will be no break in earnings between the end of paid time off and the start of the short-term disability leave program. Recently hired employees and those who have used up all of their sick days will find there is a break before short-term disability leave can begin.

An employee on short-term disability leave must provide certification to the Human Resources Office from his or her physician if it should happen that the employee is able to resume normal duties.

Unpaid Leave of Absence

An Unpaid Leave of Absence, which may be granted by the College at its discretion, is a formally authorized period away from the job. A department supervisor, with the approval of the Director of Human Resources, may grant a leave of absence without salary to any employee for a period of up to six months. A leave of absence generally will be for the purposes of study, travel, or otherwise engaging in professional growth or development. To be eligible for a leave of absence, you must have completed at least one year of continuous employment prior to the beginning of the leave. An additional three months leave may be granted if circumstances warrant.

The College also grants leaves when employees are absent from work due to service in any of the Armed Services, including reserve units and the National Guard. These leaves will be granted in full conformity with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act ("USERRA") and analogous state law. Contact the Human Resources Office for more information about such leaves.

Employees wishing to take a Leave of Absence should inform the Human Resources Office in writing as far in advance as possible, and in any case at least twenty (20) working days prior to the start of the requested leave. The request must state the reason for the leave and the expected duration. Workload, the employee's past performance, attendance record, length of service, reason for leave and recommendation of the employee's supervisor will be taken into account when the College considers whether to approve the employee's request for a Leave of Absence. You will be notified in writing if the leave has been granted.

After the first four weeks of a leave of absence, the College will continue to carry you in its medical insurance plan only if you pay the full monthly premiums. You may continue to participate in the clinical medical and dental programs. No contribution to the pension plan will be made by the College on your behalf, as this program is a function of salary earned. The College will not continue disability insurance coverage during your leave. No vacation or sick day benefits are accrued during your leave nor is leave time added to length of service.

Failure to return at the end of an approved Unpaid Leave of Absence will result in termination.


Family Leave

Child Birth Leave:  Haverford's childbirth leave is designed to assist the mother in handling the medical consequences involved with giving birth to a child. Pregnant employees may work as close to the time of delivery as they wish. An expectant mother may elect to divide the three months of paid leave (including benefits) before and after the delivery. For employees unable to return to work after three months of paid leave because of continued medical disability, the provisions of the short-term disability leave and long-term disability policies will apply.

To be eligible for paid childbirth leave, you must have completed one year of continuous employment as a full-time or part-time employee prior to the beginning of the leave and have requested and received approval of the leave at least three months in advance. You and your supervisor should work out the details of your leave (e.g., the dates, additional unpaid leave if requested, how your position will be filled in your absence). You must then receive approval of your proposed leave from the Vice President for Finance and Administration.

The College may grant additional unpaid leave for up to a total of one year, subject to agreement between the employee and the department head. See Family and Medical Leave below.

Family and Medical Leave Act

The College grants unpaid leaves of absence to eligible employees for medical and family related reasons as explained below. Leaves are administered in compliance with relevant law, including the Family and Medical Leave Act ("FMLA"). Eligible employees include those who have at least one year of service at the College and a minimum of 1,250 hours of service over the 12 months preceding the FMLA leave. Any questions of eligibility should be directed to the Director of Human Resources.

FMLA leave of up to 12 weeks during a 12-month period will be provided for the following reasons:

  1. The birth or adoption of the employee's child and in order to care for the child. Leaves for this purpose must be taken within 12 months of the birth or adoption.
  2. The placement of a child with the employee for foster care. This type of leave also must be taken within 12 months of the placement.
  3. To care for a spouse or domestic partner, son, daughter or parent of the employee, if the relative has a serious health condition. Where leave on an intermittent or a reduced work schedule is medically necessary, it is permissible.
  4. A serious health condition that renders the employee unable to perform his/her job functions. Leave for this purpose may be taken intermittently or on a reduced work schedule basis, but only if such schedule is medically necessary.

FMLA leave is unpaid, except that employees must use any allotment of sick, vacation or other paid time off, as appropriate to the purpose of the FMLA leave, during FMLA leave. Paid and unpaid leaves under other College policies that are for reasons that are also covered by FMLA will also be counted as FMLA leave and the FMLA time shall run concurrently with the other leaves being taken.

Requests for FMLA leave must be submitted in writing to the employee's supervisor or to the Director of Human Resources no less than thirty days in advance, if the need for leave is foreseeable to that extent. Otherwise, a request must be submitted as soon as practical, and at least within two working days after the employee learns of a need for leave. The notice should specify the anticipated timing and duration of leave. A health care provider's certification will ordinarily be required for all leaves requested that involve a serious illness. An employee's failure to provide proper notice may delay the start of the leave.

The College may require that an employee on FMLA leave provide periodic reports of the employee's status and intent to return to work, and submit updated health certifications. Upon completion of the leave, return to work cannot occur until the employee provides a fitness for duty certificate.

During an approved FMLA leave, the College will continue to provide the same level of insurance benefits that were available to the employee at the start of the leave, provided the employee pays the premiums he or she would as an active employee. In the event an employee's premium payment (for health insurance) is more than 30 days late, coverage will be canceled beginning on the 31st day. For purposes of eligibility to participate and/or vesting, the leave period will be treated as continuous service. As during any unpaid leave, crediting of benefits will cease and will resume upon return to active employment in an eligible classification.

Upon return from the FMLA leave, an employee will be restored to either his or her same position prior to the leave, or an equivalent position with equivalent pay, benefits and other conditions of employment. An employee who fails to accept reinstatement will be considered to have resigned.

FMLA leave will not exceed 12 weeks within a 12-month period, which shall be measured using a rolling 12-month period backward from the date an employee uses any FMLA leave. Under certain circumstances, a husband and wife both employed by the College and eligible for 12 weeks FMLA leave may be limited to a combined total of FMLA leave during a 12 month period in connection with birth or placement of a child or the serious health condition of a parent.


Funeral Leave

If you are a full-time employee and someone in your close family dies, Haverford will give you a leave with pay for up to five days so that you may attend the funeral.  For these purposes, your close family is considered to be your spouse or domestic partner, child, parent, brother or sister.  In addition, if your grandparent, grandchild, father- or mother-in-law dies, you may take up to three days with pay to attend the funeral.  If your aunt, uncle, nephew, niece, brother- or sister-in-law dies, you will be given one day with pay to attend the funeral.  If someone not in the aforementioned groups dies, or if you need more time, the College is willing to work out an appropriate unpaid leave of absence.

Jury Duty

If you are selected for jury duty, you must notify your supervisor of the date before you begin duty.  Indicate the time spent on jury duty on your time slip; you will be paid your regular salary for this time.  You may retain any payment you received for jury duty from the federal government, state, or municipality .

Periodic Physical Exams:  A Day Off With Pay

To encourage and further support preventive medical care, the College will provide one day off with pay every two years for regular full-time and part-time employees with two or more years of service who are over the age of 40 in order to have a physical exam.  Employees must use the day off to obtain a complete physical examination from one of the College's medical panel physicians, their HMO primary care physician, or their Personal Choice primary care physician with the related lab work.  In order to have the day off with pay, the employee must provide his/her supervisor with documentation (a note from the physician) of having had a complete physical and the lab work on that day. 

Under this arrangement, the medical exam will be free of charge (or very low cost) to the employee, and the employee will be compensated with a day's pay.  Personal Choice subscribers will pay $5 for the office visit and HMO subscribers will pay $2. All tests prescribed by the primary care physician will be fully covered.

All eligible employees should consult with their supervisors to determine an agreeable date to be away from their responsibilities.  Questions about Personal Choice and HMO coverages should be directed to the Human Resources Office. 


Travel on College Business :: Table of Contents :: Policies and Procedures