Paid Time Off


The College is closed on the following holidays:

New Year's Day

Labor Day

Martin Luther King Day


Spring Break (2 days)

Friday after Thanksgiving

Memorial Day

Christmas Eve

Independence Day

Christmas Day (In addition days until New Year's Day)

If one of these holidays falls on a weekend, the College will be closed on an appropriate weekday.

The College may extend the Christmas break for the purpose of energy conservation, in which case Christmas shutdown will extend for six days - e.g. Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, three additional days and New Year's Eve. The Human Resources Office publishes a schedule of holiday dates annually. However, administrative and professional employees may have responsibilities that require their presence on campus on one or more of the scheduled holidays.


Vacation provides for an annual period of relaxation and renewal. The vacation year begins the first day of July, the beginning of the fiscal year, and extends through June 30 of the following year. During each year of service, most administrative and professional employees are entitled to a vacation of 23 working days. Employees hired after the beginning of the fiscal year will be granted vacation on a pro-rata basis of 2 days per month through June 30, e.g., an employee hired on January 1 would be eligible for 11 1/2 vacation days between January 1 and June 30. Certain administrative and professional positions, such as coaches in the Athletic Department, are scheduled in relation to the academic year. These positions are treated in a manner similar to teaching faculty, in that time off is provided when school is not in session.

Vacations should be scheduled in consultation with the immediate supervisor. Employees leaving the employment of the College before June 30 who have taken vacation days in excess of a pro-rata number for that year will have the extra days of vacation deducted from their final paycheck. Employees leaving the employment of the College who have not used all of the vacation days accrued will be paid for those unused days, provided they have given adequate notice of resignation to the College as explained in the section on Leaving the College.

Normally, vacation days are not carried over to the following fiscal year. However, there may occur unusual situations where, because of institutional or personal circumstances, scheduling vacation time within the required fiscal year is impossible. In these situations, special arrangements should be discussed between the employee and supervisor and approved by the Human Resources Office.

Part-time employees will be informed of any vacation arrangements at the time they are hired. Such arrangements will depend on the employee's normal schedule.


Paid Sick Days

Sick days are provided to all full-time and part-time administrative and professional employees to provide for salary continuation in the event of absence due to short-term illness or injury. Administrative and professional employees are granted sick leave as needed, but are not given a specific number of sick days. Thus, they are not required to use vacation time when illness arises and, by the same token, cannot accumulate sick leave. An administrative or professional employee not able to report to work because of illness or injury must notify his or her immediate supervisor as soon as possible. Excessive absence or a pattern of perceived abuse of this policy may be reflected in the allocation of salary increases or in other disciplinary action, if deemed appropriate by an employee's supervisor. In cases of a single illness extending more than 8 weeks, a professional or administrative employee becomes eligible for the College's Short Term Disability Leave program.

Paid Sick Days: Dependent Care

The College recognizes that employees with dependents may need time to deal with illness of those dependents on an occasional basis. Employees may utilize sick days to deal with such situations. In addition to the definition of dependent covered on page 9 of this Handbook, this use of sick days can also apply to the short-term care of a parent living in the home of the employee. Extended illness of a spouse or domestic partner, son, daughter or parent is covered under the Family and Medical Leave policy of the College.

Short-Term Disability Leave

The goal of the short-term disability leave program is to complete a bridge until the long-term disability insurance coverage of the College becomes effective. Short-term disability leave, when granted, will provide full salary and continuation of benefits until the start of the long-term disability insurance.

Full-time administrative and professional employees who have completed one year of employment are eligible for Short Term Disability Leave. An employee whose absence has extended for longer than 8 weeks because of illness or injury may apply to the College for an short-term disability leave under the following conditions:

1) The employee submits medical documentation requested by the College, including a second opinion if needed.
2) The request for extended sick leave is the result of one continuing condition and not a series of separate problems.

Short-term disability leave is not an entitlement. It is awarded after the conditions above have been evaluated by the Vice President for Finance and Administration.

Family Leave

Child Birth Leave. Haverford's child birth leave is designed to assist the mother in handling the medical consequences involved with giving birth to a child. Pregnant employees may work as close to the time of delivery as they wish. An expectant mother may elect to divide the three months of paid leave (including benefits) before and after the delivery. For employees unable to return to work after three months of paid leave because of continued medical disability, the provisions of the extended sick leave and long term disability policies will apply.

To be eligible for child birth leave, you must have completed one year of continuous employment as a full time or part time employee prior to the beginning of the leave and have requested and received approval of the leave at least one month in advance. You and your supervisor should work out the details of your leave (e.g., the dates, additional unpaid leave if requested, how your position will be filled in your absence). You must then receive approval of your proposed leave from the Vice President for Finance and Administration.

The College may grant additional unpaid leave for up to a total of one year, subject to agreement between the employee and the department head. See Dependent Care Leave below.

Family and Medical Leave Act

The College grants unpaid leaves of absence to eligible employees for medical and family related reasons as explained below. Leaves are administered in compliance with relevant law, including the Family and Medical Leave Act ("FMLA"). Eligible employees include those who have at least one year of service at the College and a minimum of 1,250 hours of service over the 12 months preceding the FMLA leave. Any questions of eligibility should be directed to the Director of Human Resources.

FMLA leave of up to 12 weeks during a 12-month period will be provided for the following reasons:

  1. The birth or adoption of the employee's child and in order to care for the child. Leaves for this purpose must be taken within 12 months of the birth or adoption.
  2. The placement of a child with the employee for foster care. This type of leave also must be taken within 12 months of the placement.
  3. To care for a spouse or domestic partner, son, daughter or parent of the employee, if the relative has a serious health condition. Where leave on an intermittent or a reduced work schedule is medically necessary, it is permissible.
  4. A serious health condition that renders the employee unable to perform his/her job functions. Leave for this purpose may be taken intermittently or on a reduced work schedule basis, but only if such schedule is medically necessary.

FMLA leave is unpaid, except that employees must use any allotment of sick, vacation or other paid time off, as appropriate to the purpose of the FMLA leave, during FMLA leave. Paid and unpaid leaves under other College policies that are for reasons that are also covered by FMLA will also be counted as FMLA leave and the FMLA time shall run concurrently with the other leaves being taken.

Requests for FMLA leave must be submitted in writing to the employee's supervisor or to the Director of Human Resources no less than thirty days in advance, if the need for leave is foreseeable to that extent. Otherwise, a request must be submitted as soon as practical, and at least within two working days after the employee learns of a need for leave. The notice should specify the anticipated timing and duration of leave. A health care provider's certification will ordinarily be required for all leaves requested that involve a serious illness. An employee's failure to provide proper notice may delay the start of the leave.

The College may require that an employee on FMLA leave provide periodic reports of the employee's status and intent to return to work, and submit updated health certifications. Upon completion of the leave, return to work cannot occur until the employee provides a fitness for duty certificate.

During an approved FMLA leave, the College will continue to provide the same level of insurance benefits that were available to the employee at the start of the leave, provided the employee pays the premiums he or she would as an active employee. In the event an employee's premium payment (for health insurance) is more than 30 days late, coverage will be canceled beginning on the 31st day. For purposes of eligibility to participate and/or vesting, the leave period will be treated as continuous service. As during any unpaid leave, crediting of benefits will cease and will resume upon return to active employment in an eligible classification.

Upon return from the FMLA leave, an employee will be restored to either his or her same position prior to the leave, or an equivalent position with equivalent pay, benefits and other conditions of employment. An employee who fails to accept reinstatement will be considered to have resigned.

FMLA leave will not exceed 12 weeks within a 12-month period, which shall be measured using a rolling 12-month period backward from the date an employee uses any FMLA leave. Under certain circumstances, a husband and wife both employed by the College and eligible for 12 weeks FMLA leave may be limited to a combined total of FMLA leave during a 12 month period in connection with birth or placement of a child or the serious health condition of a parent.

Leave of Absence

Haverford has no sabbatical program for administrators or professional employees but does provide for leaves of absence under the following circumstances and conditions:

1) You should make a request to your supervisor or the senior administrator in your area if you need a Leave of Absence. Upon recommendation of a senior administrative staff member, the President may grant an unpaid leave of absence to a full- time employee for a period of up to six months. A leave of absence generally will be for the purposes of study, travel, engaging in professional growth or development, or for personal renewal. A prerequisite of such leave is an assurance that the responsibilities of the employee going on leave can be handled appropriately in the department. Normally, to be eligible for a leave of absence, you must have completed at least three years of continuous employment prior to the beginning of the leave. An additional three months may be granted if circumstances warrant.


2) During a Leave of Absence, the College will continue to carry you in its medical insurance plan. All other benefits will continue except those based on salary, e.g. pension contributions and Social Security. No vacation is accrued during your leave.

The College also grants leaves when employees are absent from work due to service in any of the Armed Services, including reserve units and the National Guard. These leaves will be granted in full conformity with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act ("USERRA") and analogous state law. Contact the Human Resources Office for more information about such leaves.

Funeral Leave

If you are a full-time employee and someone in your close family dies, Haverford will give you a leave with pay for up to five days. For these purposes, your close family is considered to be your spouse or domestic partner, child, parent, brother, or sister or legal guardian. In addition, if your grandparent, grandchild, father- or mother-in-law dies, you may take up to three days with pay to attend the funeral. If your aunt, uncle, nephew, niece, brother- or sister-in-law dies, you will be given one day with pay to attend the funeral. If someone not in the aforementioned group dies, or if you need more time, the College is willing to work out an unpaid leave of absence or use of vacation time.

Jury Duty

If you are selected for jury duty, please notify your supervisor of the date before you begin duty. You will be paid your regular salary for the time spent on jury duty. You may retain any payment you receive for jury duty from the federal government, state, or municipality.

Credit Union :: Table of Contents :: Policies and Procedures