Tag Archives: historic

Magill Library, 1865 Haverford faculty in the Philips Wing of Magill Library, 1865. Courtesy College Archives.

The Library in 1865

Haverford libraries own more than 625,000 titles, including not only printed books but thousands of items in other formats—microfilm, photographs, diaries, letters, sound and video recordings, electronic publications, and miscellaneous ephemera.

Magill Library, 1865 Haverford faculty in the Philips Wing of Magill Library, 1865. Courtesy College Archives.

The Library in 1865

Haverford libraries own more than 625,000 titles, including not only printed books but thousands of items in other formats—microfilm, photographs, diaries, letters, sound and video recordings, electronic publications, and miscellaneous ephemera.

Wartime Haverford Courtesy of College Archives.

Wartime Haverford

The Army Specialized Training Program (or A.S.T.P.) included basic engineering, foreign area and language studies, which were taught at Haverford in 1943 and 1944, as part of the program to add non-combatant service students during World War II.

WHRC Equipment Check 1920s: An equipment check at the College’s then-radio station WABQ. Courtesy of College Archives.

Haverford on the Radio

Radio broadcasting began at Haverford in 1923, when an AM station—only the second in Pennsylvania—was launched. Today, WHRC lives on as an internet radio station with a live stream and DJ’ed shows.

Magill Library, 1865 Haverford faculty in the Philips Wing of Magill Library, 1865. Courtesy College Archives.

The Library in 1865

Haverford libraries own more than 625,000 titles, including not only printed books but thousands of items in other formats—microfilm, photographs, diaries, letters, sound and video recordings, electronic publications, and miscellaneous ephemera.

Wartime Haverford Courtesy of College Archives.

Wartime Haverford

The Army Specialized Training Program (or A.S.T.P.) included basic engineering, foreign area and language studies, which were taught at Haverford in 1943 and 1944, as part of the program to add non-combatant service students during World War II.

Founders, Now Founders Hall is the original academic building of the college and was built in 1833.

Then & Now: Founders Green Now

Then & Now: Founders Green Founders Hall houses the President’s office, Institutional Advancement, classrooms and faculty offices and the Great Hall, which hosts myriad social functions. Missed yesterday’s photo? See what the green looked like “Then”.

WHRC Equipment Check 1920s: An equipment check at the College’s then-radio station WABQ. Courtesy of College Archives.

Haverford on the Radio

Former WHRC DJ Jennifer C. Waits ’89 chronicles nine decades of campus broadcasting. Read “Haverford on the Radio” in the Spring/Summer 2012 issue of HAVERFORD magazine »

Magill Library, 1865 Haverford faculty in the Philips Wing of Magill Library, 1865. Courtesy College Archives.

The Library in 1865

Haverford libraries own more than 625,000 titles, including not only printed books but thousands of items in other formats—microfilm, photographs, diaries, letters, sound and video recordings, electronic publications, and miscellaneous ephemera.