Office: Hall 004
Office Hours: Spring 2009:
Tue & Thu 12-1, 2:30-3pm
and by appointment
Greeks in Egypt
The role of the diaspora in modern Greece’s development remains at the forefront of the concerns of Greek historiography. I chose to focus on the Greeks in Egypt because they were one of the most important diaspora communities from the early C19th to the mid-C20th and also because my father’s side of the family had been in Egypt for three generations. I began with a master’s thesis at Keele University under the guidance of Paul Rolo, a diplomatic historian, on the community’s attitudes to Greek politics during WW II. I then moved on to St. Antony’s College, Oxford where I embarked on a doctoral dissertation that examined the Greek community’s reactions to the rise of Egyptian nationalism between 1919 and 1937, the year the privileges accorded to foreigners began being dismantled. I completed the D.Phil. in 1984 thanks to the guidance of Roger Owen and Albert Hourani, and it was subsequently published under the title “The Greeks in Egypt: Ethnicity & Class, 1919-1937.” My future plans include writing a historical account of the Greeks in Egypt from the early C19th to the mid-C20th.
- The Greeks in Egypt, 1919-1937: Ethnicity & Class London: Ithaca Press 1989 pp. 212.
Chapters in Books
- «Εμπορικές Παροικίες και Μετανάστες [Merchant Colonies and Μigrants] in Christos Hadziiosif, ed. Ιστορία της Ελλάδας του 20ου Αιώνα [History of Greece in the C20th] Vol. B1 1922-1940. Athens: Vivliorama, 2002
- «Ο Βενιζελισμός στην Αίγυπτο» [Venizelist Republicanism among the Greeks in Egypt] in Th. Veremis & G. Goulimi eds Ελευθέριος Βενιζέλος: Κοινότητα, Οικονομία, Πολιτική στην Εποχή του [Eleftherios Venizelos: Community, Economy and Politics in his Era] Athens: Gnosi, 1989
- “Out of Egypt” Odyssey #91 September/October 2008
- “The Political Tsirkas: Drifting Cities as History” www.greekworks.com December 18, 2002
- “Out of Egypt” www.greekworks.com October 15, 2002
- “The Alexandria We Have Lost” Journal of the Hellenic Diaspora Vol. 10, # 1-2, 1983
- “The Greeks in Egypt: Ethnicity & Class” Journal of the Hellenic Diaspora Vol. 10, # 3, 1983
- «Η Ελληνική Παροικία στην Αίγυπτο και ο Δεύτερος Παγκόσμιος Πόλεμος» [The Greek Community in Egypt and World War II] Mnemon Vol. 9, 1981