For information about Web accessibility, please contact the Webmaster at

Haverford College
Health Services

Health Services: Helpful Health Info for Graduating Seniors

Share |

Find out what you need to know about insurance, immunizations, and more!


  • If you have health insurance through a parent/guardian, you will probably be able to extend coverage until age 26.  The plan will cost you an individual premium that you pay in monthly or yearly premiums.  The cost varies depending on your health status.  To get information, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
  • Another option for Graduating seniors: There is short term insurance available - Visit or call 877-443-1818 with questions.
  • If you have Haverford College school BCS insurance, see our insurance link on the Health Services web page for information on extending the coverage beyond graduation (the college plan ends in August).
  • Are you going to be continuing your school career?  If you are deferring work for graduate or professional studies, health services might be available to you through the institution.  Health services at colleges and universities usually provide basic primary care and gynecologic care.
  • Some employers will start all job benefits, including health insurance, after a probationary period.  These periods vary from as little as 30 days of employment to 90 days.  If you are starting a new job right after graduation, make sure to find out how long the waiting period is (if any) before your health care benefits activate.  You may be able to buy into the company insurance for the length of the probationary period.


  • Please make arrangements for your prescription medication, birth control to be refilled prior to leaving college, so you have enough supply to get through the summer. Health Services closed for summer May 17.


  • Please make arrangements to complete your series of vaccinations (such as Hepatitis A, Gardasil, Tetanus update, TB ppd skin testing prior to graduate/medical school). Call Health Services 610-896-1089 for an appointment. If you need a copy of your immunization records please go to website and sign medical release form and send to health services by mail, 370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford ,PA 19041 or fax 610-896-1090.

Services for uninsured or under insured individuals:

  • These services are usually primary care, and do not cover a specialist.  The local hospital or health center operator will have the names and telephone numbers of such affiliations.

Routine gynecological care:

  • Depending on the city, an appointment for a routine exam for a pap smear and/or birth control pills with a private gynecologist may have a substantial waiting period.  Washington D.C. typically has a 2-4 month wait, and New York City, sometimes 4-6 months.  If you are relocating to a new city or town, call the local hospital hotlines for information on gyn providers, and try to make an appointment well in advance of when your annual exam is actually due.
  • Virtually every state in the country has a Planned Parenthood affiliate, and the general number to locate one in your new locale is: 1-800-230-PLAN.

Meet your New Healthcare Provider:

  • No matter where you plan to locate, or what type of insurance you have, it’s always a good idea to choose and meet with your new healthcare provider BEFORE an emergency or illness arises.  Once relocated to your new home, make an appointment for an introductory physical with your Health Provider as soon as possible.