Advancement Services - Stewardship: Professorships
- Department of AnthropologyOpen or Close
Laurie Kain Hart - Edmund and Margiana Stinnes Professor of Global Studies; Professor of Anthropology
The Edmund and Margiana Stinnes Professorship in Global Studies was established in 1991 by a gift from Veronica Stinnes Petersen in honor of her parents, Edmund and Margiana Stinnes.
- Department of East Asian StudiesOpen or Close
Shizhe Huang - C. V. Starr Professor of Asian Studies and Associate Professor of Chinese and Linguistics; Director of Bryn Mawr-Haverford Chinese Language Program; Director of Haverford Linguistics Program
The C. V. Starr Professorship in Asian Studies was established in 2001 in honor of T.C. Hsu '42 by the Starr Foundation.
- Department of BiologyOpen or Close
Judith Owen - Elizabeth Ufford Green Professor of Natural Sciences; Professor of Biology
The Elizabeth Ufford Green Professorship in Natural Sciences was established in 1996 by Elizabeth Hazard Ufford Green, a research biologist at Haverford from 1957–1980.
- Department of ClassicsOpen or Close
Deborah H. Roberts - William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Classics and Comparative Literature; Department Chair
The William R. Kenan, Jr. Professorship, established in 1972 by a gift from the Kenan Trust, supports a professorship in any department.
- Department of EconomicsOpen or Close
Temporarily Vacant – Provost and John B. Hurford Professor of Economics
The John B. Hurford Professorship was established in 1990.
- Department of EnglishOpen or Close
Kimberly W. Benston - Francis B. Gummere Professor of English
The Francis B. Gummere Memorial Fund was established in 1920 by a gift from the late Miss Emily Bourne in memory of her friend Francis Barton Gummere and is an endowment for the Chair of English Literature.
Temporarily Vacant - Ellsworth C. Alvord, Jr. 1944 Professorship
The Ellsworth C. Alvord, Jr. 1944 Professorship Fund, established in 1992, supports the Director of College Writing.
- Tri-College Program in Environmental StudiesOpen or Close
Temporarily Vacant - Professor of Environmental Anthropology
The Professorship in Environmental Anthropology was established in 2009.
Temporarily Vacant - Professor of Environmental Biology
The Professorship in Environmental Biology was established in 2009.
Temporarily Vacant - The William H. and Johanna A. Harris Professor of Environmental Studies for Chemistry
The William H. and Johanna A. Harris Professorship in Environmental Studies for Chemistry was established in 2010.
- Department of Fine ArtsOpen or Close
William Earle Williams - Audrey A. and John L. Dusseau Professor in Humanities; Professor of Fine Arts and Curator of Photography
The Audrey A. and John L. Dusseau Professorship in the Humanities was established in 1983.
Temporarily Vacant - Edwin E. Tuttle 1949 Professor of Fine Arts, Sculpture
The Edwin E. Tuttle 1949 Professorship in Fine Arts, Sculpture was established in 2008.
- Department of HistoryOpen or Close
Lisa Jane Graham - Frank A. Kafker Professor of History; Associate Professor of History
The Frank A. Kafker Professor of History Fund was established in 2004.
Paul Jakov Smith - John R. Coleman Professor of Social Sciences; Professor of History and East Asian Studies; and Faculty Director, Center for Peace and Global Citizenship
The John R. Coleman Professorship, established by the Board of Managers in 1977, honors John R. Coleman and his retirement as the 9th President of Haverford. The Professorship is awarded on a ten-year rotating basis to a faculty member in the social sciences.
Temporarily Vacant - Walter D. and Edith M. L. Scull Professor of History
The Walter D. and Edith M. L. Scull Fund was established in 1918 by bequest of Walter D. Scull. The fund was created to establish a Professorship of Modern English Constitutional History, and the Chair has been designated as the Walter D. and Edith M. L. Scull Professor of History.
- Department of MathematicsOpen or Close
Curtis Greene - J. McLain King 1928 Professor of Mathematics
The J. McLain King 1928 Professorship in Mathematics was established in 1992 through a unitrust and bequest contributed to Haverford by Mary Wheeler King as a lasting tribute to her husband J. McLain King '28, a mathematics major.
Robert Manning - William H. and Johanna A. Harris Professor of Computational Science; Associate Professor of Mathematics
The William and Johanna Harris Computational Science Professorship, established in 1990, supports the use of computers in the educational program.
- Department of MusicOpen or Close
Curtis P. Cacioppo - Ruth Marshall Magill Professor of Music
The Ruth Marshall Magill Professorship was established in 1972. The Board of Managers may assign the professorship in an allied field in the arts and humanities should need cease to exist in the field of music.
Richard Freedman – John C. Whitehead 1943 Professor of Humanities
The John C. Whitehead 1943 Professorship in the Humanities was established in 1979.
- Department of PhilosophyOpen or Close
Ashok Gangadean - The Emily Judson and John Marshall Gest Professor of Global Philosophy
The Emily Judson Baugh Gest and John Marshall Gest Professorship supports the entire religion department including Gest Center and lectures, a visiting professor in religion and a position in comparative religion.
Danielle Macbeth - T. Wistar Brown Professor of Philosophy; Department Chair
The John Farnum Brown Fund, established in 1900, provides funds for the T. Wistar Brown Professorship of Philosophy. Originally, the purpose was for prizes in biblical history and in philosophy. In 1910, the scope of the fund was expanded to include philosophy and kindred subjects.
- Department of Physics & AstronomyOpen or Close
Stephen P. Boughn - John Farnum Professor of Astronomy; Department Chair
The John Farnum Memorial Fund was established in 1878 by the heirs of John Farnum as a memorial to him, to be used to endow a professorship of some practical science or literature.
Jerry P. Gollub - John and Barbara Bush Professor in the Natural Sciences; Professor of Physics
The John and Barbara Bush Professorship in the Natural Sciences was established in 1998.
- Department of Political ScienceOpen or Close
Anita Isaacs - Benjamin Collins Professor of Social Sciences; Associate Professor of Political Science
The Benjamin Collins 1920 Professorship in Social Science was established in 1980 by former Board member Robert M. Collins '52 in honor of his father, Benjamin Collins '20.
- Department of ReligionOpen or Close
Anne M. McGuire - Kies Family Associate Professor in the Humanities; Associate Professor of Religion
The Kies Family Assistant Professorship in Humanities or Social Sciences was established in 2002 by David M. Kies '65.
Temporarily Vacant - The Douglas and Dorothy Steere Professor of Quaker Studies
The Professorship in Quaker Studies, established in 2007 was renamed The Douglas and Dorothy Steere Professorship in Quaker Studies in March 2011.
Temporarily Vacant – Robert and Constance MacCrate Professor of Social Responsibility
The Robert and Constance MacCrate Fund, established in 1990, supports a Chair in Social Responsibility and is intended to recognize and advance interdisciplinary teaching and scholarship that explores the obligations persons bear to one another, both as distinct individuals and as members of diverse social groups.
- Department of SpanishOpen or Close
Israel Burshatin - Barbara Riley Levin Professorship in Comparative Literature; Professor of Spanish
The Barbara Riley Levin Professorship in Comparative Literature was established in 1988 by Gerald M. Levin '60 in response to the National Endowment for the Humanities Challenge Grant.