Department of Philosophy
1. What I do in philosophy.
My work is mainly about Kant. Since Kant contributed to every area of philosophy, this is a little like saying that my work is mainly about philosophy. And I guess that's true. But more specifically, my work is about the concepts of "possibility", "actuality" and "necessity" — which I think contemporary accounts generally get wrong, and which I think Kant generally gets right.
More recently, I've started to think about the significance of these concepts within Kant's ethics: what it means, for example, when he says that it is necessary for us to do something.
2. What I am teaching in the spring.
- Phil. 106: "The Philosophy of Consciousness and the Problem of Embodiment".
- Phil. 250: "Hegel and Afterward".
- Phil. 355: "Topics in Epistemology: Irony and the Search for Truth".
3. What I am like as a person.
I enjoy movies, music and eating. My favorite movie is maybe Shoah. My favorite musician is Clifford Brown. My favorite food in general is a pastrami sandwich. My favorite food in Philadelphia is at this place.
4. Want to know more?
I am available for conversation most days. My e-mail is on the right.