E-House (Ehaus) is a co-op on Haverford's campus that works to live in a more environmentally sustainable way and bring awareness about the possibilities and impacts of living this way.
Haverford College Dining Services is committed to providing the most environmentally friendly dining program possible and one that supports the HC Community.
The Committee for Environmental Responsibility (CER) was created by the students, faculty and staff of Haverford College and founded on the socially responsible principles of the college.
Sustainability Report Card Score
The College earned a "B+" overall grade on the Sustainability Report Card issued in early October by the Sustainable Endowments Institute. That grade continues the steady improvement Haverford has seen since it earned a "C" grade three years ago.
Did You Know? Locally produced and processed foods account for nearly one-third of the college's food budget.
Green Plan For Managing & Reducing Waste On Campus
With assistance from an outside consultant, CER devised a plan that would eventually shift the campus-wide waste management and recycling practices toward more sustainable methods.
- Provide for on-site composting of Dining Hall food waste. Currently the college is composting pre-consumer food waste on campus and is looking into container composting. Learn More >
- Develop a plan to double Haverford College’s recycling rate and implement programs that would allow Haverford to materially benefit from the increase in recoverables.
- Revise waste collection practices to reduce amount and frequency of trash removal from campus.
Preliminary approval has been given to purchase a Vegawatt Power System which turns waste vegetable oil from food service operations into electricity with a 5kW generator.
Dining Services Sustainability Initiatives
- Installed new dish machine
- Using biodegradable products
- Plates, cups, napkins, take-out containers
- Using resuable tableware
- Plates, cups, bowl, silverware
- Purchase of Local Food
- Milk, bread, tofu, produce, honey, apple butter
Student Farm / Garden Proposal
Students got approval to expand the current student garden at HCA. Historically, farming has been a part of Haverford College and CER students would like to resurrect this tradition.