The following links go to web pages I have developed for specific courses, but
which may be useful to others at Haverford College or elsewhere. Other useful
links may be found from the Chemistry
Department Home Page.
I have taught inorganic, biological and general chemistry in the Haverford
College Department of Chemistry since 1988. I am also a member of the Biochemistry
and Biophysics Concentration steering committee and of the
Hughes Medical Institute Program.
I received a B.A. in Chemistry from Oberlin College in 1980, and a Ph.D.
in Chemistry from the University of California, Berkeley in 1985. My doctoral
studies were in under the guidance of Prof.
Kenneth Raymond, and I spent three years as a post-doctoral research
associate of Prof.
Lawrence Que, Jr. of the University of Minnesota.
Click here to download my CV (pdf format)
I teach courses in General Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Bioinorganic Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. To see a listing of courses I am teaching recently or in upcoming semesters, please use Haverford's on-line course information system (type "Scarrow" into the Instructor field and click on "Search Now")
- Bioinorganic Chemistry: Modeling the Reactivity of Oxygen with Metalloproteins.
- Coordination Chemistry: Thermodynamic, Kinetic and Structural Characterization of Metal-Ligand Complexes.
Names followed by asterisks are those of Haverford College undergraduates.
- "Identification of the Dinuclear and Tetranuclear Air-Oxidized Products
Derived from Labile Phenolate-Bridged Dimanganese(II) Pyridyl-Chelate Compounds."
Larsen, F. B.; Boisen, A.; Berry, K. J.; Moubaraki, B.; Murray, K. S.; McKee,
V.; Scarrow, R. C.; McKenzie, C. J. Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2006,
- "Development of porous materials for heterogeneous catalysis: kinetic
resolution of epoxides." Welbes, L. L.; Scarrow, R. C.; Borovik, A. S.
Chem. Commun., 2004, 2544-2545.
- "How does cyanide inhibit superoxide reductase? Insight from synthetic
FeIIIN4S model complexes." Shearer, J.; Fitch, S. B.; Kaminsky, W.; Benedict,
J.; Scarrow, R. C.; Kovacs, J. A., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2003,
- "A dihydroxo-bridged Fe(II)-Fe(III) complex: A new member of the diiron
diamond core family." Egdal, R. K.; Hazell, A.; Larsen, F. B.; McKenzie,
C. J.; Scarrow, R. C. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 32-33.
- "Synthetic Models For the Cysteinate?Ligated Non?Heme Iron Enzyme Superoxide
Reductase: Observation and Structural Characterization by XAS of an FeIII-OOH
Intermediate." Shearer, J.; Scarrow, R. C.; Kovacs, J. A. J. Am.
Chem. Soc. 2002, 124, 11709-11717.
- "The First Example of a Nitrile Hydratase Model Complex that Reversibly
Binds Nitriles." Shearer, J.; Jackson, H. L.; Schweitzer, D.; Rittenberg,
D. K.; Leavy, T. M.*; Kaminsky, W.; Scarrow, R. C.; Kovacs, J. A. J. Am.
Chem. Soc. 2002, 124, 11417-11428.
- "Probing the Structure of Immobilized Metal Sites in Porous Organic Hosts
by X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy." Padden, K. M.; Krebs, J. F.; Trafford,
K. T.*; Yap, G. P. A.; Rheingold, A. H.; Borovik, A. S.; Scarrow, R. C. Chem.
Mater. 2001, 13, 4305-4313.
- "Immobilized Metal Complexes in Porous Organic Hosts: Development of a
Material for the Selective and Reversible Binding of Nitric Oxide." Padden,
K. M.; Krebs, J. F.; MacBeth, C. E.; Scarrow, R. C.; Borovik, A. S. J.
Am. Chem. Soc. 2001, 123, 1072-1079.
- "Porphobilinogen synthase from pea: expression from an artificial gene,
kinetic characterization, and novel implications for subunit interactions."
Kervinen, J.; Dunbrack, R. L., Jr.; Litwin, S.; Martins, J.; Scarrow, R. C.;
Volin, M.; Yeung, A. T.; Yoon, E.; Jaffe, E. K. Biochemistry 2000,
- "Zinc ligation in the active site of human and bovine porphobilinogen synthases."
Sazinksy, M. H.*; Ehrenfeld, J.*; Jaffe, E. K.; Scarrow, R. C. J. Inorg.
Biochem. 1999, 74, 287.
- "Protonation of porphyrin in iron-free cytochrome c: Identification of
monocation free base porphyrin, a charge analogue of ferric heme." Zentko,
S.*; Scarrow, R. C.; Wright, W. W.; Vanderkooi, J. M. Biospectroscopy1999,
- "X-ray Spectroscopy of Nitric Oxide Binding to Iron in Inactive Nitrile
Hydratase and a Synthetic Model Compound." Scarrow, R. C.; Strickler, B. S.*;
Ellison, J. J.; Shoner, S. C.; Kovacs, J. A.; Cummings, J. G.; Nelson, M.
J. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 9237-9245.
Last Revised: September 19, 2008 by Rob Scarrow. Please send corrections/comment