Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia Information SessionBreakthrough of Greater Philadelphia Information Sessionhttp://www.haverford.edu/calendar/details/260248DC Swarthmore Room2014-02-17T18:30:002014-02-17T19:30:00
February 17, 6:30PM–7:30PM
DC Swarthmore Room
Meet Caroline Smith of Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia, a six-year academic enrichment program that builds a path from middle school to college for low-income students from Philadelphia’s public schools.
Breakthrough believes in the power of education to radically change young peoples’ lives. We believe the middle school years are the critical crossroads where students make choices that will dramatically affect their futures. We are passionate in our belief that every child deserves access to an excellent education and the encouragement to succeed.
Breakthrough is unique in many ways:
- It intervenes early, recruiting students in the sixth grade – a critical time for students academically, socially and emotionally
- It makes a six-year commitment to ensuring that students enroll in selective high schools, graduate from high school, and go on to college
- It delivers rigorous college-preparatory courses in an exciting and supportive learning environment
- It operates on an average 6:1 student teacher ratio, allowing a level of individual attention impossible in most educational settings
- It engages talented college and high school students from around the country to teach in the program – and to serve as role models and mentors to students
- It employs master teachers as “teacher coaches,” who provide comprehensive, hands-on training and mentorship the young teachers
For More Info