The Strawbridge Observatory at Haverford College houses 12-inch and 16-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes which are actively used by students in Haverford astronomy classes. The telescopes are also periodically made available for public use with teaching assistants and/or professors present to provide assistance and background information about what is being viewed. Note that the telescopes are only used when it is clear, and the domes are not opened when it is cloudy.
If the weather is in doubt, your best option is to email Lee Rosenthal (email@example.com) or Beth Willman (firstname.lastname@example.org) ask whether observing will take place. Alternatively, you can email us at Strawbridge.Observatory@gmail.com with questions or requests for information. For last minute weather updates for events, please call 484-727-8766 (484-7ASTRON)
Public Observing Schedule
Friday, September 26, 2014
7:45 pm This event takes place rain or shine. Student Carolyn Oehrig will give a talk about planets, and there will be two planet-oriented hands on activities, appropriate for the whole family. Telescope observing will take place, weather permitting.
Saturday, November 1, 2014
6:45 - 8:30 pm We will have a number of fun demonstrations and hands-on educational activities, along with telescope observing. All are welcome to this family friendly event in Strawbridge Obesrvatory. This event goes on rain or shine.
Saturday, November 15, 2014
6:30 pm Telescope Observing, weather permitting. This event will only take places if skies are clear and dry.
Saturday, December 6, 2014
6:00 pm This event takes place rain or shine. Telescope observing will take place, weather permitting.
If you would like to bring a group to any of our events, please contact us early in the year to see if your group can be accommodated. Contact Beth Willman (email@example.com) or Lee Rosenthal (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Would you like to sign up for our email list? Please fill out this form. We would love to hear from you!
Directions to the Observatory
The Strawbridge Observatory is located on the College's Walton Road, just off College Avenue between Haverford Road and Lancaster Ave.Going West on Lancaster Ave. (Rt. 30):
- Turn left onto Haverford Station Road (just past Haverford College's main entrance).
- Bear right at fork; the street becomes Railroad Ave.
- You will drive by the parking area of The Haverford School on the right and Haverford College property on the left.
- At next fork, bear left; the street becomes College Avenue.
- Immediately look for a small Haverford College sign on the left at Walton Road.
- Turn left onto campus at Walton Road. A short distance later, you will see observatory on your right (just before the athletic playing fields.)
- Follow signs for visitors parking (at the end of Walton Road). After 5 pm, parking is open on campus.
Images from Strawbridge Observatory
- Red Mars! (color photo with 12-inch, 9/2003)
- Star Trails Above Dome (color photo, 9/2003)
- Observatory with Crescent Moon (color photo, 9/2003)
- Dome with Crescent Moon #1 (color photo, 9/2003)
- Dome with Crescent Moon #2 (color photo, 9/2003)
- Moon Closeup (B-band CCD image with 16-inch, 0.12 sec exposure, 10/2003)