Transfer Application Checklist

  1. Common Application and Personal Statement
  2. Haverford Common Application Writing Supplement
  3. Standardized Test Results: ACT Exam with Writing Results or SAT I and two SAT II Exam Results (If you did not take Subject Tests in high school, you do not need to take them now.)
  4. Transfer College Report
  5. Transcripts from all colleges and secondary schools you have attended (High school transcripts should be mailed to the Admission Office or faxed to 610-896-1338.)
  6. 2 faculty recommendations ("Academic Evaluators")
  7. $65 Application Fee or fee waiver

Transfer Admission Instructions

  • Eligibility

    A student is eligible for transfer admission to Haverford if at least one year has been completed as a full-time student at a college or university by the time of enrollment at Haverford. (Students who have completed one year of full-time university study must apply as transfer students; they may not apply as first year students.)

    Transfer students must enroll as full-time students and must spend a minimum of two years at Haverford. The College only awards the bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree, and does not accept applications from students who have already earned a bachelor's degree.

  • Admission Process

    The transfer admission process is extremely competitive; few students transfer out of Haverford, so we often have room to admit only a very limited number of transfer students. We take great care to review every application thoroughly. Each is read by at least two admission officers before being discussed by the Admission Committee. We pay closest attention to your:

    • transcripts (college and secondary school)
    • recommendations
    • quality of writing as demonstrated in your essay
    • extra-curricular involvements and talents
    • standardized test scores

    While we prefer a professor recommendation, we understand that in some cases your professors may not know you well. If that is the case, please feel free to send an additional recommendation from a teaching assistant, a recent high school teacher, or an employer.

  • Deferred Admission

    Deferring an offer of admission is not possible. Transfer students are admitted to fill class vacancies that may exist one year and not the next.

  • International Applicants

    We welcome applications from international students. Currently, about eight percent of our students have grown up or attended high school outside the U.S. Our Admission Committee is familiar with education systems around the world. Regardless of your citizenship or geographic location, you should follow the same application process required of any other student. Please note that Haverford College typically does not have financial aid available for international transfer students because the funding we have for international students is awarded to first-year applicants.

    If English is not your first language, we recommend that you take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Haverford Code #2289. Please see for more information.

  • Residency Requirement

    Students who have had more than four semesters of full-time college or university work must still fulfill our two-year residency requirement by completing four full-time semesters at Haverford. Please note that studying abroad for a semester or a year would not count toward that requirement.

  • Class Registration

    Materials including registration instructions will be sent shortly after we receive your enrollment form. Since currently enrolled students will have already selected their classes, transfers choose classes on a space-available basis. However, transfers are generally able to register for all the classes they wish.

  • Transfer Credits

    The Registrar will review your college transcripts and a credit analysis will be sent to you with your letter of admission. Four semester hours or six quarter hours are equivalent to one Haverford credit. There are three primary requirements for transferring credit from another college:

    • You must have received, at minimum, a "C" or its equivalent in the course.
    • The course can't have been used to satisfy a high school graduation requirement (e.g., a fourth year of English).

    The course must be substantially similar to coursework taught at Haverford. For example, while courses in engineering, business, journalism, criminal justice, or any other strictly pre-professional program can be quite rigorous, Haverford doesn't offer courses in these areas so credit will not be transferred. Math courses below the level of calculus don't receive credit either. Occasionally, the Registrar may contact you for clarification of a course description.