Dan Weiss has been appointed 14th president of Haverford College. Learn more »
Office of the President
370 Lancaster Ave.
Haverford, PA 19041
Joanne V. Creighton, Interim President
Jesse Lytle, Chief of Staff
Joan Wankmiller, Executive Assistant to the President
Walter Sullivan '82, Director of Quaker Affairs
Adrienne Selinger, Associate, Office of the President and Admission Volunteers Coordinator
Joanne V. Creighton
Haverford's Interim President
A distinguished scholar of American literature, past president of a leading liberal arts college, and former interim president of a top tier university, Dr. Joanne V. Creighton is Haverford’s Interim President. She is holding the office through the end of the 2012-2013 academic year, at which point Dan Weiss will become Haverford's 14th president.
Open Office Hours: Every Monday from 3-4 p.m., Founders 101.
The author of four books, Creighton has concentrated much of her scholarly work and teaching on William Faulkner, Margaret Drabble, and Joyce Carol Oates.
- Joyce Carol Oates: Novels of the Middle Years (1992)
- William Faulkner's Craft of Revision (1977)
- Joyce Carol Oates (1979)
- Margaret Drabble (1985)
Selected Articles & Reviews
Creighton is the author of numerous scholarly articles and reviews, and is a frequent commentator on contemporary literature and issues affecting higher education. A selection follows:
- Reflecting on Joyce Carol Oates," On Wisconsin 110:2 (Summer, 2009), 34-41.
- "'What Does it mean to be a woman?': The Daughter's Story in Oates’s Novels," studies in the Novel 38:4 (Winter 2006), 440-456. (Co-authored with Kori A. Binette)
- Joyce Carol Oates and Margaret Drabble examine the complex dynamics of female identity." I’ll Take You There by Joyce Carol Oates and The Seven Sisters by Margaret Drabble. The Chicago Tribune (Sunday, November 17, 2002).
- "Reading Margaret Drabble’s The Waterfall," Critical Essays on Margaret Drabble, ed. Ellen Cronan Rose. Boston: G. K. Hall & Co., 1984; 106-118.
Meet the President
- Joanne V. Creighton's CV
- Download Hi-Res Photo
- Interview with Nancy J. Vickers '65, Alumnae Quarterly, April 2010
- "Turning Women Into Scientists," The New York Times, March 28, 2011
- "Creighton and Renn '86 on Women's Education," Michigan State University Journal, November 29, 2010
- "President Honored with Naming of Creighton Hall," Mt. Holyoke, May 7, 2010
- "MHC to Celebrate The Creighton Effect May 6," Mt. Holyoke, April 21, 2010
- "Creighton Hailed by Her Alma Mater," Mt. Holyoke, April 15, 2010
- "MHC's Creighton Visits White House," Mt. Holyoke, March 9, 2010
- "Barrier Breakers: 15 Female College Presidents," Forbes, October 15, 2009
- "President Creighton: What's Next for Her?" Harvard Graduate School of Education, October 5, 2009
All gifts are an investment in the Haverford experience.
- Read this nice @PhillyInquirer article about Ralph & Ruben Alexis (both '13) & their mentors from @PhillyFutures: http://t.co/3Hfzgah0PR 11 hours ago
- Yesterday 296 Fords received diplomas & became the newest group of Haverford alumni. See pics from the exciting day: http://t.co/9tkSknpzkc yesterday
- Matthew Stitt '09 tells @PhillyDailyNews that majoring in anthropology is helpful in his work navigating City Hall: http://t.co/0u3WsuMOio yesterday
- Have a great summer vacation, Fords! And please let us know how you're spending your break. #Fordsummer yesterday
- Alumni Weekend registration extended through 5/24! Last chance to sign up for a fun-filled weekend (May 31–June 2). http://t.co/TWSx8FjiGe yesterday
Social Haverford: Friend, Follow, Feeds.