The Center for Peace and Global Citizenship supports a range of domestic and international summer internships for students that stand at the nexus of liberal learning, critical reflection and social action.
Learn more about our interns!
The Center developed the internship program to widen and deepen Haverford's connections with social change organizations and to encourage an integrated approach to pressing social, cultural and ethical concerns while promoting scholarship and teaching about the critical issues of our day.
All internships must demonstrate one or more of the following characteristics:
1. An intellectually critical engagement with the pressing issues of our day, both domestic and international, and with ways to address those issues in the non-profit, private, for-profit, educational or public sectors;
2. A commitment to deepening the applicant's understanding of cultural difference, and of the ways that local communities are affected by broader global processes;
3. Engagement with issues of power and inequality in their local, national and/or international contexts.
Interns have worked with a variety of organizations, from large international development agencies to small community-based groups. They have helped to address a wide array of pressing social issues, including post-conflict peace building, transitional justice, public health, education, gender inequality, fair trade, environmental degradation, sustainable development, cultural preservation and the arts. Interns' contributions to their host organizations have ranged from conducting research, helping to develop networks and fundraise, providing English-language skills or instruction, and collaborating with local colleagues to carry out grassroots programs. Many CPGC internships have resulted in continuing relationships between Haverford students and their host countries, with interns going on to work in international public policy, research, education, journalism and the non-profit sector.
Application Deadlines for 2013:
- February 10 at 11:59 p.m. - International Partnership Internships
- February 17 at 11:59 p.m. - International Self-Designed, Summer Research, Continuing Connections (for previously funded interns) and Senior Bridge (for graduating seniors)
- February 24 at 11:59 p.m. - Domestic Self-Designed, Summer Research, Continuing Connections (for previously funded interns) and Senior Bridge (for graduating seniors)
- March 3 at 11:59 p.m. - Domestic Partnership Internships